Installing and Configuring Microsoft SQL Server for Myriad v4

Installing and Configuring Microsoft SQL Server for Myriad v4

Author
rick jones
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (5.3K reputation)Forum Sage (5.3K reputation)Forum Sage (5.3K reputation)Forum Sage (5.3K reputation)Forum Sage (5.3K reputation)Forum Sage (5.3K reputation)Forum Sage (5.3K reputation)Forum Sage (5.3K reputation)Forum Sage (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi Matt,

I'm not sure you should be taking advice from me Smile

I can't imagine I'm the first to make the move from V3 to V4 on Windows 8

But that sequence of install did work for me.

As we are on the subject of SQL I wonder if anyone can offer some assistance with regard to the backup and restore of the Myriad/Autotrack SQL DATABASES?

The process is not quite as straight forward as the backup and restore of the old JET Database.

I have so far taught myself how to backup using the SQL server management studio. 

The four .bak files listed below are what I "suspect" I need (not sure if I need the system databases?)     

DATABASEv3-v40.bak

DirectorySQL.bak

Myriad4Data.bak

MYRIADLIB.bak

I would like to know if the backups are valid usable files, but I'm very nervous about the restore procedure.

Any help or advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Rick 
showbizshane
showbizshane
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)

It is highly recommend for an SQL setup that LOGS and DATABASES are on seperate physical drives for performance.
Andrew Burns
Andrew Burns
Support Engineer, P Squared Ltd.
Support Engineer,  P Squared Ltd. (30K reputation)Support Engineer,  P Squared Ltd. (30K reputation)Support Engineer,  P Squared Ltd. (30K reputation)Support Engineer,  P Squared Ltd. (30K reputation)Support Engineer,  P Squared Ltd. (30K reputation)Support Engineer,  P Squared Ltd. (30K reputation)Support Engineer,  P Squared Ltd. (30K reputation)Support Engineer,  P Squared Ltd. (30K reputation)Support Engineer,  P Squared Ltd. (30K reputation)

Hi All,

Just thought I'd add a little note about the Backup of SQL files.  There is a slight gotcha that it would be good to be aware of, as it may be something you only find at the point to need to try to restore a database.

Looking at the Back Up Database window in SQL Server Management Studio you have a section that allows you to select the Destination for the back ups which will let you add several file locations to the backup set.  This is not, as you may expect, going to create several independent backups which are all stand alone, rather this will split the backup over the files you have selected.  This means to restore the database you would need ALL of the files listed in the backup window and if any are missing, you have an invalid backup set.

The option to Mirror the backup set (which would create multiple separate backups) is not available in SQL 2008 R2 Express, but is available in the more powerful versions.  In Express it would probably be better to backup to a single file, as this could then be copied to another location to give you a second backup off the server.

It is very unlikely that the Myriad databases would ever get to the sort of size that would require you to split the backup over several devices or locations, so this should not really cause any problems with using a single file.

For more info about creating backups, take a look at this MSDN page http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187510(v=sql.105).aspx

Regards,

Andrew
Tags
Edited
11 Years Ago by Andrew Burns
GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....