Global Change over Multiple Clocks

Global Change over Multiple Clocks

Author
NiddNet
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (1.6K reputation)Forum Sage (1.6K reputation)Forum Sage (1.6K reputation)Forum Sage (1.6K reputation)Forum Sage (1.6K reputation)Forum Sage (1.6K reputation)Forum Sage (1.6K reputation)Forum Sage (1.6K reputation)Forum Sage (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi Guys,

My first post here, so please forgive me if I get some of the terminology wrong.

I've just inherited a task which, to my mind, should be easy - but, knowing precious little about Myriad itself (gasp!) I'm not sure what the best way to achieve it is.

Here's the scenario.

I have recently changed a station from an Advantech and P2 Audio Switch unit to a more software-based solution. I've set up the commands to call batch-files which do the necessary jobs, and they work great...  the problem is now that said station has a massive number of (apparently very precious) clocks, all with the wrong news sequence.

Is there a simple way I can change

"Hardware - Set - 17" (or however it's annotated) to "Command - News Open"  and, of course,
"Hardware - Unset - 17" to "Command - News Close".

At the moment, we've got a guy doing it manually for each day, but what I'd really like, is to run some kind of routine, or utility which will globally change ALL 'hardware 17' to my own commands.

(Also, we could do with tightening up the news in/out time too... and this would be a great way to do this)

As I say, I'm not at all up on Myriad yet (though I feel I might have to become so rather fast!) - but I'm very very comfortable with IT systems, and am not obverse to running some SQL commands directly on the DB if it comes to it - though I'd much rather use an 'elegant' solution.

Many thanks for all the help and advice I'm sure you folks can offer.

Best wishes,

Ross.
Paul Moore
Paul Moore
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)

I dont think there is a mass way to change clocks, I do ours one by one every time our news jingles changes.

using the set and clear is simple enough, command 17 should open and close at the correct time.

you set this as a hook period in your news jingle, you can then tighten up your news timings to 2 minutes and 1 second, this will allow for when myriad gets its timing slightly wrong.

I have noticed on many occasion even though myriads time says 00:00 the actual news jingle start time is 1 second over, hence why I said 2 minutes and 1 second.

Good Luck !!

Regards,
Paul Moore

HitMix Radio
0792 858 1075

NiddNet
NiddNet
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (1.6K reputation)Forum Sage (1.6K reputation)Forum Sage (1.6K reputation)Forum Sage (1.6K reputation)Forum Sage (1.6K reputation)Forum Sage (1.6K reputation)Forum Sage (1.6K reputation)Forum Sage (1.6K reputation)Forum Sage (1.6K reputation)

Hi Paul,

If it comes to it, that's what I'll have to do... I just wondered if there's a way to do it in one go - official or otherwise.  

I really need to change all 'stages' of the news... and if it's gotta be manual, then so be it... I'll delegate!! Smile

Start of hour:

Abs Time 00:01.00
Command - Open News

Abs Time 02:03.00
News Out Cart

Abs Time 02:07.00
Command - Close News

Abs Time 59:48.00
News In Cart.

Does that look about right?  (obviously timings to finalise and confirm with a watch!!)

Thanks

Ross.
Paul Moore
Paul Moore
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)

my way is the easy way:

Creat 1 news jingle that plays under the news, it could be dry or a bed. set your hooks for the end of the news jingle and then set the out hook for exactly 2 minutes and 1 second later, then the 1 cart will do the job, open news, close news fire next cart.
next cart in you case will be news out, I would set the intro hook on this news outro cart to also close the news channel, that way you have 2 ways to shut the feed off.

I do the same with our weather, as this is sometimes fired before the end of the news cart and therefore closes the news off.

Remember if your using the astra satellite for sky news/irn that there is still a 5 second delay
aim your news to open around 4 seconds past the hour and close at 6 seconds past.
ours works perfect almost every time !

you also don't need to set more than 1 Absolute time marker this way.

use your first abs to start the cart.
ours is 59:12 as we have an advert mixed into the news cart, then the top of the hour sponsor, then the actualnews jingle which is timed for the VO to say news at 00:00:04.

Keep us updated and good luck

Regards,
Paul Moore

HitMix Radio
0792 858 1075

Edited
12 Years Ago by paulmoore
Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
Hi Ross,

I've just spent ages writing up a very long winded way of doing this using MS Access to copy and paste rows in a table, but then realised that there is faster way - but sadly not an automated one!

(Apologies if this in blindingly obvious but sometimes it's easy to miss the obvious ones!)

Open the Clock that you have got right, then multi select the rows, then right click copy, then just paste into your destination clocks.

------------
Peter Jarrett, Technical Director
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)

As a further follow up to this, and I appreciate this doesn't help you with AutoTrack v3, but your problem did set me thinking on how we can improve this in future, so it's inspired a rather nifty new feature that will appear in the next release of Myriad AutoTrack v4.

We've now added in the ability to link to another clock from within a first clock.

So in future you could create a clock called "News" that just has in your 5 items for the Top of Hour news.

Then for each of your "normal" clocks - e.g. "Breakfast1" you can then just have  a single line at the top that links to "Clock:News".

When AutoTrack schedules, it will then add all of the entries in the "News" clock into the top of the "Breakfast1" clock as it does the actual Schedule process.

This way if you ever need to change the way news runs (i.e. change the duration, or in your case change from Hardware to commands) you just edit the "News" clock, and all other ones that are linked to it will automatically use the new setup immediately.

------------
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

Paul Moore
Paul Moore
Forum Sage

Can you add this into the next version of Myriad V3, for those that may not wish to upgrade to V4.

Regards,
Paul Moore

HitMix Radio
0792 858 1075

Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage

Hi Paul,

Sadly not - due to the way that V3 builds the Scheduled log files there isn't anyway we can do an "insert" of the extra clock lines during the "Create Schedule Template" pass.

Its one of the reasons why we had to take the tough decision to totally rewrite the way we actually carry out the scheduling process - it means that we can do these sort of things and implement them relatively quickly due to the new modular approach we're using.

------------
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Paul Moore
Paul Moore
Forum Sage

Thanks for the honest answer, I'll just have to re-write all our clocks when necessary.

Regards,
Paul Moore

HitMix Radio
0792 858 1075

GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums