Myriad 3.6.6 / Echo Mia Midi Sound Card / Windows 7 64Bit

Myriad 3.6.6 / Echo Mia Midi Sound Card / Windows 7 64Bit

Author
Andy Tijou
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi All

We recently had a play server die on us, in typical HR fashion, one of the members donated a desktop which I stole the motherboard from to build a new machine.

I installed and set up Windows 7 64bit, and then having downloaded hours of updates, read your forum and discovered that where GPIO control is required, windows 7 32Bit must be installed, so I then decided to put this in in place of the sustaining feed playout.

I then found that during playback, that the audio from Myriad sounded awful, I know that:

This was not a fault with the sound card as it has since gone back into the original XP machine and is playing out cleanly.

This is not a fault with the driver, I tried a few version from the Echo Mia website, with all version, the play out sounded garbled, however, when I tried another piece of software which can take advantage of the virtual outs called Cartrack (written by a former colleague) and that played out fine.

So it seems that the issue was just with Myriad.

Is it that 3.6.6 will not work with 64 bit windows, or is there some setting in Myriad I failed to spot that makes things play well?

I notice that the only drivers on the website for the Echo Mia Midi are for windows XP, not for win7

If I try a win 7 32 bit build, will I have more luck?

Thanks
Andy

Chief Engineer
Epsom Hospital Radio
www.epsomhospitalradio.org.uk

philedmonds
philedmonds
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)

AndyTijou - Thursday, June 20, 2019 6:25:54 PM
Hi All

We recently had a play server die on us, in typical HR fashion, one of the members donated a desktop which I stole the motherboard from to build a new machine.

I installed and set up Windows 7 64bit, and then having downloaded hours of updates, read your forum and discovered that where GPIO control is required, windows 7 32Bit must be installed, so I then decided to put this in in place of the sustaining feed playout.

I then found that during playback, that the audio from Myriad sounded awful, I know that:

This was not a fault with the sound card as it has since gone back into the original XP machine and is playing out cleanly.

This is not a fault with the driver, I tried a few version from the Echo Mia website, with all version, the play out sounded garbled, however, when I tried another piece of software which can take advantage of the virtual outs called Cartrack (written by a former colleague) and that played out fine.

So it seems that the issue was just with Myriad.

Is it that 3.6.6 will not work with 64 bit windows, or is there some setting in Myriad I failed to spot that makes things play well?

I notice that the only drivers on the website for the Echo Mia Midi are for windows XP, not for win7

If I try a win 7 32 bit build, will I have more luck?

Thanks
Andy

There is an incompatibility issue between the Mia cards and Windows 7. The fact that it works in some apps but not with Myriad might be something to do with the way the software is accessing the sound card.

I had the same issue several years back replacing a Windows XP box with a Echo Mia card that was used for things such as Skype / Audio TX Communicator / internet type audio, with a newer Windows 7 machine. Despite much messing about with drivers couldn't get it to work reliably under win 7, so gave up and stuck a spare M-Audio Delta 1010 card in the Windows 7 box (a bit over kill for 1in/1out but it worked for many more years!)

I think Echo Audio have pretty much left the sound card space, so not hold your breath in getting much help from them.

Given the likely age of the Mia card it's probably served it's time well so you might need to be on the lookout for buying something new - make sure what you get is Windows 10 compatible as you'll may need to go down that route in the lifetime that a typical hospital radio station tries to stretch it's hardware over.

--
Myriad user since 1998, now custodian of dozens of Myriad,Autotrack, Powerlog and Scoop boxes of many different flavours.
http://www.philedmonds.com
Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
HI Andy,

Good to hear from you! The forums are very very quiet nowadays as pretty much everything has moved over to the Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/Myriad5/ so worth joining up.

With the issue you've got, we never tested Myriad 3.6 on Windows 7 64 bit - and I'll be honest, I don't think we ever ran any Echo devices on 64 bit windows as they had sadly been discontinued by the time 64bit became widely supported - personally I loved the Mia and the Layla so was sad to see them go!

Have you checked that all power saving is turned off in case it's something going to sleep or some other random effect? Also worth making sure System Sounds are turned off - the Echo cards were always VERY susceptible to multiple devices using them at the same time. Also make sure that the sample rate in the Echo software and also in the Windows Sound control panel is locked to 44100

After that, I think it might definitely be worth trying 32 bit yes as that was definitely more command at the time, but I wouldn't guarantee it

I hope some of the above helps! Smile

------------
Peter Jarrett, Technical Director
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

Andy Tijou
Andy Tijou
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)

[quote]
philedmonds - Friday, June 21, 2019 9:32:21 AM
Despite much messing about with drivers couldn't get it to work reliably under win 7, so gave up and stuck a spare M-Audio Delta 1010 card in the Windows 7 box (a bit over kill for 1in/1out but it worked for many more years!)

Thanks Phil
How did you wire that up? was it via a four channel mixer with one cart per stereo channel, or all carts through one stereo channel?
The reason I ask is that I notice Myriad fading channels up and down a lot, when I was playing before with Win 7, if it fade a track down on one channel, then audio on the same stereo output would remain faded down until Myriad faded it up again,

Andy

Chief Engineer
Epsom Hospital Radio

Andy Tijou
Andy Tijou
Forum Sage

Peter Jarrett - Friday, June 21, 2019 9:32:41 AM
HI Andy,

Good to hear from you! The forums are very very quiet nowadays as pretty much everything has moved over to the Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/Myriad5/ so worth joining up.

With the issue you've got, we never tested Myriad 3.6 on Windows 7 64 bit - and I'll be honest, I don't think we ever ran any Echo devices on 64 bit windows as they had sadly been discontinued by the time 64bit became widely supported - personally I loved the Mia and the Layla so was sad to see them go!

Have you checked that all power saving is turned off in case it's something going to sleep or some other random effect? Also worth making sure System Sounds are turned off - the Echo cards were always VERY susceptible to multiple devices using them at the same time. Also make sure that the sample rate in the Echo software and also in the Windows Sound control panel is locked to 44100

After that, I think it might definitely be worth trying 32 bit yes as that was definitely more command at the time, but I wouldn't guarantee it

I hope some of the above helps! Smile

Hi Peter,
I'm afraid I've abandoned Facebook for many reason, I'm probably the only person in the industry who has!
I'm hoping to give 32 bits a go next week with windows 7, fingers crossed it works better, it would be nice if it works, the XP install on our play server has for a long time been due a re-build!

I am noticing a lot playout briefly pausing on the sustain playout when logging in to myriad in a studio, or when moving items about in the log, any ideas on how to stop that happening?

Thanks
Andy

Chief Engineer
Epsom Hospital Radio

Matt Wade
Matt Wade
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (95K reputation)Forum Sage (95K reputation)Forum Sage (95K reputation)Forum Sage (95K reputation)Forum Sage (95K reputation)Forum Sage (95K reputation)Forum Sage (95K reputation)Forum Sage (95K reputation)Forum Sage (95K reputation)

Hi Andy,

With pausing etc on playback it is worth checking any Anti Virus settings you have set and also compressing/rebuilding the station database can help.

ta - M

Matt Wade
Need Training or Consultancy for Broadcast Radio Software Products?
Get in touch
w: https://mattwadeonline.co.uk
e: training@mattwadeonline.co.uk
Andy Tijou
Andy Tijou
Forum Sage

Matt Wade - Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:51:21 PM
Hi Andy,

With pausing etc on playback it is worth checking any Anti Virus settings you have set and also compressing/rebuilding the station database can help.

ta - M

Thanks Matt

Just found the setting the compact/repair option in Autotrack, I'm remoted in from work at the moment, but I'll see if it makes a difference next time i'm in.

Regards
Andy

Chief Engineer
Epsom Hospital Radio

Andy Tijou
Andy Tijou
Forum Sage

I just thought I would add an update to this post as I have made some discoveries along the way which may be useful if anyone else is doing a similar installation.

I've re-built our sustaining feed play out PC using 32-Bit Windows 7

We developed a new bug which had not shown itself before, which I think I have finally got to the bottom of.

There would be a high pitched juddering noise that seemingly played out randomly, if you can imagine when using CDJs and your trying to find the first beat, it plays the same bit of audio over and over, in this instance it would at when Myriad was mixing between tracks, seemingly repeat just one frame (to jump into TV land briefly) over and over for a few seconds

I was able to adjust the speed at which the judder occured over an over in the soundcard's settings by changing the buffer size to 64 for a very quick burst, to to a very slow prolonged judder at 8192 samples (PureWave buffer size)

I was also able to make it appear less regularly by adjusting the Audio Buffer Size in Myriad to Large (Settings -> Audio Settings - Advanced Tab)

Yet the problem did continue - I tried many different ways of fixing it, I thought it was because the audio was played over the network from a NAS, but it continued with it on the local disc which was now an SSD.
For a while I thought it might be another bit of software conflicting with Myriad.

I noticed that it was mainly happening at the end of jingles and recorded speech.

I found a couple of carts which it would constantly do the juddering noise on, when I looked at them I noticed that the WAV did not end on silence.

So on the affected clips I used the little grey box in the wav editor in audition to add a little fade out at the end of the track so that it would end on silence rather than on sound.

Since then, touch wood, I have not had a re-appearance of the juddering noise.

Not sure is wrong with the driver in Windows 7 which made this happen, which was not present in XP, or how Myriad addresses the driver.

It interesting that this problem did not show itself on our studio PCs which have Delta 1010 soundcards, just on the Echo Mia Midi card on the sustain PC.

Anyway, all seems to be good now!

A

Chief Engineer
Epsom Hospital Radio

GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....