Myriad v2.6 & Windows 7 - any issues?

Myriad v2.6 & Windows 7 - any issues?

Author
Simon Temple
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (13K reputation)Forum Sage (13K reputation)Forum Sage (13K reputation)Forum Sage (13K reputation)Forum Sage (13K reputation)Forum Sage (13K reputation)Forum Sage (13K reputation)Forum Sage (13K reputation)Forum Sage (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
We're probably going to have to jump from W2k to W7 for our play-out systems, so can anyone tell me does Myriad v2.6 work ok on a W7 box?
I realise that's not an official supported combination, but there's no money to jump up to a newer version of Myriad sadly.

Current config W2K; Myriad v2.6; PCI1750; Gina24

Are there any pitfalls or does it just work?

Thanks
Simon
HB Sheffield
neilogden
neilogden
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (59K reputation)Forum Sage (59K reputation)Forum Sage (59K reputation)Forum Sage (59K reputation)Forum Sage (59K reputation)Forum Sage (59K reputation)Forum Sage (59K reputation)Forum Sage (59K reputation)Forum Sage (59K reputation)

We investigated this last summer when the motherboard on our W2k main playout system failed.  I seem to remember the answer is that Myriad 2.6 does work but without any real testing, the stability of it is unknown.  However, Echo 24 sound cards don't work with windows 7 - which was our problem and led us to downgrade our new motherboarded PC to win2K - and unfortunately led to our ongoing issue that means audio plays about 8 seconds slow over an hour!  We'll be looking to upgrade out entire system in 2013!

I said at the time there is a time bomb waiting to go off as systems bought with win2K/echo 24 cards come to the end of their life! 

Neil
Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
Hi Simon,

To add to Neils post, CD ripping also won't work as it uses an older version of the CD Ripping module that won't work on Win7 or higher.

------------
Peter Jarrett, Technical Director
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

Craig Arthur
Craig Arthur
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)

We have Echo Gina 24 cards working on our 2 studio tools PC's on Windows 7 64 bit, they are used for the internet, audio editing and Autotrack etc. 

Craig Arthur

Engineering & IT Manager
Radio Royal, Royal 2 & Royal Gold.
philedmonds
philedmonds
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)

I've run in a non on-air capacity Myriad v2.6 on Windows 7 Enterprise - though this was with a Delta 10/10 card. Seemed to run okay.

I've found that Myriad v2.6 runs more stable under Windows XP than Windows 2000.

Of course if you are buying a Windows 7 Pro licence, this does give you 'downgrade' rights. So you could install Windows XP Pro instead on the machine - assuming you can find drivers for all your other hardware.

For what it's worth Myriad v3.0 seems to run okay on Windows 7 - again in a production not on-air capacity.

--
Myriad user since 1998, now custodian of dozens of Myriad,Autotrack, Powerlog and Scoop boxes of many different flavours.
http://www.philedmonds.com
philedmonds
philedmonds
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)

Just resurrecting this thread - as I'm in the process of spec'ing up a machine for a Myriad v2.6 terminal (with half a mind to compatibility for a future Myriad upgrade).

Has anyone had experience of running Myriad v2.6 on Windows 7 Pro 32bit for extended periods in a production environment?

A while back I had Myriad v2.6 running on a training workstation - but this wasn't in a critical environment.

I'll probably get a Windows 7 Pro licence, which gives me downgrade rights to XP Pro, but as this is coming to end of life and for general hardware compatibility Windows 7 seems a better option.

I'd imagine the Myriad v2.6 user base will be slowly shrinking, but if there are any Myriad 2.6 / Windows 7 users reading this I'd appreciate your experiences and any gotchas.

On a related note - I notice that if you're buying a OEM version of Windows 8 Pro, which is marginally cheaper than Windows 7 Pro, you only get downgrade rights to Win 7 or Vista Pro. Windows 7 Pro OEM has downgrade rights to Vista or XP Pro. You need Volume Licensing versions to get downgrade rights to all previous 'pro' versions of Windows.

--
Myriad user since 1998, now custodian of dozens of Myriad,Autotrack, Powerlog and Scoop boxes of many different flavours.
http://www.philedmonds.com
GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums

Search