ATP Suggestion DAYPARTS

ATP Suggestion DAYPARTS

Author
glenmitch
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (33K reputation)Forum Sage (33K reputation)Forum Sage (33K reputation)Forum Sage (33K reputation)Forum Sage (33K reputation)Forum Sage (33K reputation)Forum Sage (33K reputation)Forum Sage (33K reputation)Forum Sage (33K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
In each song you currently have the ability to create restrictions. You can also save common patterns ie No Drives or No Breakfast etc.

I would like to be able to search for songs that have a particular daypart restriction i.e OVERNIGHT ONLY or NO DRIVES.

Could this support be added to ATP to aloow seach by saved daypart types.

I would also love the ability to mass change songs dayparts by selecting the new daypart from a list.

This is quite an essential feature lacking in ATP.

Glen Mitchell
Systems Manager
Hot Radio
Poole & Bournemouth
glen.mitchell@hot1028.com

Craig Arthur
Craig Arthur
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)

You can use saved daypart grids already in V3, not as easy to use as Selector as they are not selectable from a drop down menu.  Not sure if you can search by them though.

Will have a look and see if I can see it in V4...

Craig Arthur

Engineering & IT Manager
Radio Royal, Royal 2 & Royal Gold.
Craig Arthur
Craig Arthur
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)

As suspected you can save day part rules "Hot Lists" however all it does is mark the grid according the the template.  You can't then as far as I can see, go and search for all items marked with hot list X, Y or Z as Autotrack doesn't appear to keep track of that info.

Craig Arthur

Engineering & IT Manager
Liam Burke
Liam Burke
P Squared Employee
P Squared Employee (93K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
Don't think you can search by restriction grids but you can mass change songs to have a grid which I think was mentioned earlier. 

The bigger question is what you are using this for?

As we understand it, the most common use is to force songs to move thought x day parts when schedule as a mechanism to force songs to play in different parts of the day before playing again in the same time region. 

We decided to tackle this another way with the Dynamic Daypart rule which basically protects x hours either side of a play for x many other plays if the same song. So a song play at lunch time could be forced to be play 3 times outside of lunch time before it is played again at lunch. 

If you are using restrictions in other ways then please let us know. 

Liam Burke - Broadcast Radio Ltd

Email: liamb@broadcastradio.com

Telephone: +44 1482 383700
Craig Arthur
Craig Arthur
Forum Sage

I've used it to restrict some some songs, e.g. ballads that are part of the A list for example that I wouldn't want playing during the Friday and Saturday evening party sections. 

Whilst there are other ways to achieve the same thing sometimes there are odd songs we might categorise a certain way that we would want to block from those hours, day parting is a way of doing that.  Selector has a great way of doing that, but the autotrack way whilst more convoluted isn't a deal breaker.

Craig Arthur

Engineering & IT Manager
glenmitch
glenmitch
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (33K reputation)Forum Sage (33K reputation)Forum Sage (33K reputation)Forum Sage (33K reputation)Forum Sage (33K reputation)Forum Sage (33K reputation)Forum Sage (33K reputation)Forum Sage (33K reputation)Forum Sage (33K reputation)

Basically. Our db is in a mess with songs at worng times of day to to ex management etc 

I want to be able to search for a set of songs that have been given a particular restriction ie overnight only to check they are still restricted correctly and maybe adjust some to daytime. 

It would take weeks to go through every song and check each restriction, which is what i'm having to do.

You were able to search by saved daypart in selector and this was really useful. Missing a trick not being able to do this in ATP!

plus good for auditing say how many songs you have in overnights only or for a particular restriction.

Glen Mitchell
Systems Manager
Hot Radio
Poole & Bournemouth
glen.mitchell@hot1028.com

Edited
12 Years Ago by glenmitch
Liam Burke
Liam Burke
P Squared Employee

Hello,

The problem is that the hour restrictions grid in ATP is not the same as Dayparts in Selector. It is an array of 24X7 hour blocks with a whether a song can be scheduled in the block represented by the red and green squares. Although we have the hotlists to allow you to save restriction paterns to be loaded later, the songs are not actually linked to the hotlists, the hotlist just populate the grid on the song.

As such it is not possible to search by this criteria as the only way to do it would be an hour by hour comparison per song which would be prehibitively slow to do. The Other tab on the advance search window does allow you to filter the search results by whether songs (and links) either have or have not got restrictions (so all green grid have no hour restrictions where as if even one hour is red then the song does have hour restrictions).

So you could at least find all the songs that currently have some hour restrictions.

I would advise that the  best approach might be to first do this search to get all the songs that have hour restrictions currently set.

Then you can use the Mass Changer to apply new Hour Restrictions to these songs so you might reset them all or select the ones you want and then use hotlisted hour restrictions to reset the restrictions applied to selected songs.

Not ideal but it is the only thing we can suggest at this stage.

http://forum.psquared.net/Uploads/Images/6786dc4b-0286-49ed-8c06-d9af.png

If you were starting from scratch (or indeed as a future policy) you could use a few Style attributes to mark songs with similar Hour Restrictions. EG create a new Style of 'not played in breakfast', then tick this style for all songs that also use the Not Played In Breakfast Hour Restrictions grid. Because you can search and mass change based on Style, this would make keeping it up to date easier in the future.

Sorry I cant be more help.

Liam Burke
Liam Burke
P Squared Employee

Craig wrote

I've used it to restrict some some songs, e.g. ballads that are part of the A list for example that I wouldn't want playing during the Friday and Saturday evening party sections.

Whilst there are other ways to achieve the same thing sometimes there are odd songs we might categorise a certain way that we would want to block from those hours, day parting is a way of doing that. Selector has a great way of doing that, but the autotrack way whilst more convoluted isn't a deal breaker.

One of the new features in ATP is the Style Scheduling feature which allows you to specifiy a <Style> that should be used. ATP will then build a virtual deck that only includes music that has the selected <STYLE>. This way you can have songs selected from a range of Categories but they all have the specified <Style>. The main advantage of this is that you are no longer relying on songs near the top of category decks having the correct style as you would have done under v3.

This might be a better way of doing it.

philedmonds
philedmonds
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)

I achieve a similar restriction at one station using song types, where I have rules set up that in certain shows only songs marked as being part of a particular 'type' can be scheduled. By using song types I can search for these in reports etc.

Easiest example to give is I have a 'Christmas' category with a mixture of old and new Christmas music. In a slot which plays only 'vintage' songs I schedule from this category but the system can only select from tracks which have been marked as 'vintage' type. (it also works with other song categories outside of Xmas - but this was the easiest to explain)

Setting up a 'party' song type and only allowing 'party friendly' song types to be scheduled in the relevant clocks might be a way to go in your example - you could also set-up energy / tempo or similar characteristics and enforce rules here to force ballads out, however I would go for the human selection of "does this fit my party show" when the song is added to the database, as there will be some slower songs that may still fit a 'party feel'.

EDIT - I've just noted that this thread is in the AT4 forum (curse of viewing via the 'recent posts' link) - so to clarify my set-up description is using Autotrack Pro v3.1 - but assume things are similar in AT4.

--
Myriad user since 1998, now custodian of dozens of Myriad,Autotrack, Powerlog and Scoop boxes of many different flavours.
http://www.philedmonds.com
Edited
12 Years Ago by philedmonds
GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums

Search