Myriad & NAS

Myriad & NAS

Author
Will Trueman
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (9.5K reputation)Forum Sage (9.5K reputation)Forum Sage (9.5K reputation)Forum Sage (9.5K reputation)Forum Sage (9.5K reputation)Forum Sage (9.5K reputation)Forum Sage (9.5K reputation)Forum Sage (9.5K reputation)Forum Sage (9.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hey All,

I have been playing with our setup to bring in a backup profile, but I am coming across an issue when using the backup profile.

We have a Netgear ReadyNAS+ at Corby (running in X-RAID mode), data is sync'ed to this once per day from our main audio server, when we run Myriad from the audio server it's fine, but when I switch to use the backup profile which points to the NAS it becomes totally unresponsive. 

When I start Myriad, it gets to the loading instant carts part of the process and they slows down, it takes around 2 or 3 minutes to get to the logon and once logged in if you try and do anything Myriad goes in to not responding state.

The odd thing is Myriad Manager seems to work fine.

Everything on the network has a 1Gbs connection, so I cant see it being the network, the NAS runs fine, if I open something from it in to Cool Edit it takes just a few seconds.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this? The issue is present in both 3.5 and 3.6

Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (519K reputation)Forum Sage (519K reputation)Forum Sage (519K reputation)Forum Sage (519K reputation)Forum Sage (519K reputation)Forum Sage (519K reputation)Forum Sage (519K reputation)Forum Sage (519K reputation)Forum Sage (519K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
Hi Will,

You're not the first person to have trouble with NAS drives sadly - they often seem to have exactly this problem and many people have tried them and then given up and switched to either a plug in USB drive instead or gone for a larger drive in a separate PC. Our guess is that the NAS drives don't have as much memory and not as intelligent forward caching as when the drive is in a full PC running a full operating system and thats why they struggle when lots of different information is accessed several times in quick succession - i.e. as Myriad launches it reads in parts of the audiowall, then ICs which results in more Audiowall reads, followed by the user logging in, triggering more reads of Audiowalls and log information etc.

You could try sticking myriad in debug mode and see at what point in the logs it starts to slow down, but I suspect it's more that the NAS just can't preemptively cache the information Myriad is going to ask so ends up stalling myriad whilst it hurrys to read each item effectively on demand from the platters causing bottlenecks.

Someone else may have some useful experience though - worth searching these forums as I know there are a few people who have asked about NAS's over the years

------------
Peter Jarrett, Technical Director
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

James Hamilton
James Hamilton
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (2.8K reputation)Forum Sage (2.8K reputation)Forum Sage (2.8K reputation)Forum Sage (2.8K reputation)Forum Sage (2.8K reputation)Forum Sage (2.8K reputation)Forum Sage (2.8K reputation)Forum Sage (2.8K reputation)Forum Sage (2.8K reputation)

Hi Peter / all,

Has anyone reported any successes or failures with NAS and Myriad v4?

Many thanks

James

--

James Hamilton
Technical Officer - Radio Marsden
Edited
11 Years Ago by James Hamilton
showbizshane
showbizshane
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)

I store our audio in a mirror pair array in our Server (2008R2 Std) and copy files using robocopy to a second pair of drives in a NAS as backup purposes only to enable restore from but not to run from as I couldn't get a NAS (Netgear ReadyNas Duo) to perform, as mentioned this may be memory and processor and IOP'S. 

Maybe a micro-server would be the next option, HP's?
Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (519K reputation)Forum Sage (519K reputation)Forum Sage (519K reputation)Forum Sage (519K reputation)Forum Sage (519K reputation)Forum Sage (519K reputation)Forum Sage (519K reputation)Forum Sage (519K reputation)Forum Sage (519K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
Hi James,

We haven't tried ourselves but equally haven't heard from anyone either - my suspicion is that the same limitations will apply in that the main difference in disk use between v3 and v4 is the switch to SQL server - so IC's and Carts etc. are still accessed in broadly the same way, so I doubt that that will change the performance limitations we've seen from NAS devices.

------------
Peter Jarrett, Technical Director
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums

Search