Sending commands from Myriad

Sending commands from Myriad

Author
GavinD
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I am currently using Myriad to send TCP/IP UTP commands to control a relay box that switches studio lights. The lights display the mode Myriad is in i.e. LIVE ASSIST, AUTO, AUTOFADE. A command is added to the start and end of each hour in the log and this approach works. However, Myriad adds a slight delay (about 500ms) as it executes the command, even though I have told it not to wait until the command is finished.

A couple of questions. Is there any way I can:
  1. Read the mode that Myriad is in and then have it send the TCP/IP UTP commands without having to add command to the log?  or…..
  2. Reduce or remove the delay that Myriad adds when executing a command?
Cheers
Gavin

Gavin Davis
HotHitsUK.com
Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
Hi Gavin,

Hmm.... there are some inherent delays in the way Myriad starts new items but these should be a lot smaller than you are seeing, but one possible thing is the tcp setup/teardown time. Have you tried turning on the option to "leave the connection open" and "re-use existing" ? This would be the usual delay on the first connection, but after that it would much faster.

Also, make sure debug mode is turned off as that can slow things down too.

What is the device receiving the commands and do you have control over what messages it's expecting or are they hard coded?

------------
Peter Jarrett, Technical Director
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

GavinD
GavinD
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)

Peter Jarrett - Wednesday, December 06, 2017 9:53:35 PM
Hi Gavin,

Hmm.... there are some inherent delays in the way Myriad starts new items but these should be a lot smaller than you are seeing, but one possible thing is the tcp setup/teardown time. Have you tried turning on the option to "leave the connection open" and "re-use existing" ? This would be the usual delay on the first connection, but after that it would much faster.

Also, make sure debug mode is turned off as that can slow things down too.

What is the device receiving the commands and do you have control over what messages it's expecting or are they hard coded?
Thanks Peter,

I have tried leaving the port open and that does improve things slightly during testing but if there is a gap between commands (normally about an hour) the port must close again so the delay returns.

I am using a KMTronic UDP relay board (http://info.kmtronic.com/lan-ethernet-ip-8-channels-udp-relay-board.html) but the commands are hard coded. I send FF0100 to turn a relay on and FF0101 to turn it off.

Cheers

Gavin

Gavin Davis
HotHitsUK.com
Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)

Hmm.... I wonder if there is such a thing as a TCP Port Relay app - then you could connect Myriad to that, then it to the relay board, and if it can be set to keep the connection to the board open then it would hopefully handle the port dropping during that time - that might help?

------------
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

GavinD
GavinD
Forum Sage

Thanks Peter,

I have been exploring similar lines. We already use VClock to display indicator lamps and "Now Playing" information on a screen and these command are sent more frequently so the port remains open. I am in discussion with Voceware to see if VClock can relay the commands to the relay board rather than have Myriad send them directly.

I'll keep you posted.

Gavin

Gavin Davis
HotHitsUK.com
Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage

Ok cool,  I've actually just ordered both the LAN and the USB version of that board - not seen them before, they look pretty cool! - so we'll also see if we can actually build native support in to Myriad v5 as well which would improve things a lot in future I suspect.

------------
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

GavinD
GavinD
Forum Sage

Peter Jarrett - Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:41:17 PM
Ok cool,  I've actually just ordered both the LAN and the USB version of that board - not seen them before, they look pretty cool! - so we'll also see if we can actually build native support in to Myriad v5 as well which would improve things a lot in future I suspect.

They are quite well built and easy to configure. I have both the WEB and UDP versions. I couldn't get Myriad to control the WEB version but the UDP version work really well.

Gavin

Gavin Davis
HotHitsUK.com
Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage

Happy new year! 

We've now got the UDP and the USB/Serial one here and we're looking to build in native support into V5 which should improve things a lot too Smile

------------
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums

Search