Data Protection Act and show logging

Data Protection Act and show logging

Author
IHR
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi all,

I'm just needing to confirm something I'm sure I know...do we need a Data Protection Licence to record and keep the radio output (in this case, hospital radio staffed by volunteers)?

The recordings will not be kept forever, as I've left the PowerLog defaults as they are.

It's just one of our members has said that we do (just after installing PowerLog and then informing the membership that their shows are being recorded), but I'm pretty sure he is wrong.

Cheers,

Gerald.
John Williamson
John Williamson
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (52K reputation)Forum Sage (52K reputation)Forum Sage (52K reputation)Forum Sage (52K reputation)Forum Sage (52K reputation)Forum Sage (52K reputation)Forum Sage (52K reputation)Forum Sage (52K reputation)Forum Sage (52K reputation)

You don't need a DPL at all we tell all members that all output is recorded and kept for 42 days
John
Bay Trust Radio
showbizshane
showbizshane
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)Forum Sage (84K reputation)

Recording the output of a radio station is part of the license and a legal requirement by Ofcom.
IHR
IHR
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)

Thank-you...just as I thought.
Paul Moore
Paul Moore
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)Forum Sage (250K reputation)

We used to have to pay MCPS an extra fee each year of around £70.00 to record our output, this is now added onto our licensing costs
through PPL or PRS, I can't remember which one but we do still pay a fee to record our output and I'm sure everyone that records the output
of any station for logging purposes also needs a license, wether you get one or not is down to you !

Something that we full time stations have to just pay along with PPL & PRS each year......

Regards,
Paul Moore

HitMix Radio
0792 858 1075

Andy Read
Andy Read
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (25K reputation)Forum Sage (25K reputation)Forum Sage (25K reputation)Forum Sage (25K reputation)Forum Sage (25K reputation)Forum Sage (25K reputation)Forum Sage (25K reputation)Forum Sage (25K reputation)Forum Sage (25K reputation)

OFCOM don't govern hospital radio stations, so any logging software is recording for quality monitoring and identifying training requirements.

Andy Read
Hospital Radio Bedside - Bournemouth, Poole, Christchurch, Wimborne
Bruce
Bruce
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)

Can of worms alert! Sometimes if you think you won't like the answer, it's best not to ask the question.

I've read the ICO's DP guidance, and done the "self assessment" test. Strictly speaking, if the broadcast log contains information that can be used to identify people (e.g. names!) then it's personal data, and should be registered. I can't see how any of the usual exemptions apply - the charity/not-for-profit one doesn't cover this, nor does the recreational one.

So best not to ask the question.

Bruce

In charge of wires & stuff

Celtic Music Radio http://www.celticmusicradio.net

GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums