remote voicetrack levels

remote voicetrack levels

Author
PeterQ
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
On V5 doing remote voicetracks, as my station doesn't have processing its tricky to get the voicetrack at the optimum level.
My question is: can the remote presenter adjust the voicetrack level after recording? There is no record meter so its easy to record at the wring level, just wondering if there is any way the remote voicetrack software will allow us to adjust the level of a recorded vt before saving it.
Thanks
David Boulton
David Boulton
Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio
Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (190K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (190K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (190K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (190K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (190K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (190K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (190K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (190K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (190K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
Hi Peter,

There currently is no Remote Voice Tracking module for v5 (as there is for v4). This is on the development roadmap, once we have the feedback from v5 playout (what people like / dislike) we will then put those responses into that product.

Your station really does need processing of some kind. The human voice is much thinner than highly produced music, and record levels alone will not solve this issue completely - and if it is difficult to listen to, listeners will not stay around for very long.

Regards

David Boulton
Brand Manager
Broadcast Radio Ltd
PeterQ
PeterQ
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)

David Boulton - Friday, October 20, 2017 8:45:25 AM
Hi Peter,

There currently is no Remote Voice Tracking module for v5 (as there is for v4). This is on the development roadmap, once we have the feedback from v5 playout (what people like / dislike) we will then put those responses into that product.

Your station really does need processing of some kind. The human voice is much thinner than highly produced music, and record levels alone will not solve this issue completely - and if it is difficult to listen to, listeners will not stay around for very long.

Thanks David. I must have the wrong version number then, must be V4 as I am remote voicetrackeing. I understand the need for  processing but it is what it is,, I process my mic and then try and line up the sound with the music levels. It sounds ok mist of the time but my question was,, can the recorded voicetrack level be adjusted remotely on the file before saving? Sometimes I overcook it and have to redo with a lower level, if I could reduce the level as a post editing process before saving that would be great. I will discuss the processer issue when appropriate.
Regards
Peter

David Boulton
David Boulton
Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (190K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (190K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (190K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (190K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (190K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (190K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (190K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (190K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (190K reputation)

Hi Peter,

There are settings at the station end for normalisation of the link when it is unpacked and placed onto the cart.
If you have access to the audiowall at the station, then you can use SmoothEdit to adjust the levels on the individual cart. Because of the settings being station wide, i'm afraid you do just have to be careful of the record levels at the remote end, remember once distortion is introduced, that can never be removed, but a quieter link might be increased by the normalisation settings in the database (also remember that it is Peak normalisation and with a lower recording level the noise floor is also increased). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_normalization 

Regards

David Boulton
Brand Manager
Broadcast Radio Ltd
PeterQ
PeterQ
Forum Sage

David Boulton - Tuesday, October 24, 2017 10:15:34 AM
Hi Peter,

There are settings at the station end for normalisation of the link when it is unpacked and placed onto the cart.
If you have access to the audiowall at the station, then you can use SmoothEdit to adjust the levels on the individual cart. Because of the settings being station wide, i'm afraid you do just have to be careful of the record levels at the remote end, remember once distortion is introduced, that can never be removed, but a quieter link might be increased by the normalisation settings in the database (also remember that it is Peak normalisation and with a lower recording level the noise floor is also increased). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_normalization 

Thanks David.
Solved the issue at my end over weekend. I added an extra limiter after my mixer at remote studio so I cant overcook my drops and beds etc which was a regular prob. So now my input from remote studio is consistent. If they introduce station reprocessing I will remove it.
Thanks for your help
David Boulton
David Boulton

No problem.

I know they say don't double process, but if they do introduce it, leave yours on for a bit and see what you think. After all it's all about how it sounds, and a consistant output from your studio is the best idea.

Regards

David Boulton
Brand Manager
Broadcast Radio Ltd
PeterQ
PeterQ
Forum Sage

Yes good idea altho my mic is already processed so that would make 3.. and could create that voice of doom boom. Thanks again for your help. Overall Myriad is a gem when used creatively. I love it.
David Boulton
David Boulton

Thanks Peter :-)
Voice of Doom sounds like a great name for a syndicated show looking at world politics :-)

Regards

David Boulton
Brand Manager
Broadcast Radio Ltd
PeterQ
PeterQ
Forum Sage

David Boulton - Tuesday, October 24, 2017 5:12:06 PM
Thanks Peter :-)
Voice of Doom sounds like a great name for a syndicated show looking at world politics :-)

Lets do it Smile

hmburg
hmburg
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (31K reputation)Forum Sage (31K reputation)Forum Sage (31K reputation)Forum Sage (31K reputation)Forum Sage (31K reputation)Forum Sage (31K reputation)Forum Sage (31K reputation)Forum Sage (31K reputation)Forum Sage (31K reputation)

Slightly off topic but having applied normalisation to the voice tracks, is there a control somewhere that sets how much the music ducks under a voice track cart or are they treated as a sweeper and use that level control?
GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums

Search