SegEdit actions?

SegEdit actions?

Author
bento90
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (925 reputation)Forum Sage (925 reputation)Forum Sage (925 reputation)Forum Sage (925 reputation)Forum Sage (925 reputation)Forum Sage (925 reputation)Forum Sage (925 reputation)Forum Sage (925 reputation)Forum Sage (925 reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Hi all,

I've had a quick look around the settings, but can't seem to find what I'm after.

What I'm wondering is if there is a feature in SegEdit or some settings you can edit somewhere that says what it does with the voice link after recording is finished?

At the moment it normalises the audio and commits it to the log, I'm wondering if there's any way of telling SegEdit to normalise the audio, compress it by a certain amount and then normalise it again?

The reason behind this is our main on air studio has processing inserted into our mic channels, but one of the other studios (mainly used for pre-records and editing etc) does not, and you can hear a stark difference on air between these two when comparing a live show in studio 1 and pre-recorded show in studio 2.

Is this possible or would we have to go down the route of installing processing into studio 2, which would cost! L

Thanks.

Thanks,

Ben Tolley
Head of Technical
AIR 107.2
Edited
10 Years Ago by bento90
Paul Moore
Paul Moore
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (256K reputation)Forum Sage (256K reputation)Forum Sage (256K reputation)Forum Sage (256K reputation)Forum Sage (256K reputation)Forum Sage (256K reputation)Forum Sage (256K reputation)Forum Sage (256K reputation)Forum Sage (256K reputation)

I think you need another mic processor to do this, or remove the one from studio 1 then both studios sound the same !

Regards,
Paul Moore

HitMix Radio
0792 858 1075

David Boulton
David Boulton
Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio
Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (193K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (193K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (193K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (193K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (193K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (193K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (193K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (193K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (193K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
Hi Ben,

the ideas of putting addition processing into the post recording in the Segue Editor have been often discussed over the years, and it's always a fine line between manipulating the audio for the few and the speed of committing the link to the log and moving onto the next.

The overwhelming feedback from users has been that speed is the most important thing for the SegEditor.

Adding EQ or Compression would have to be done with other considerations, we would have to possibly think about several layers of undo (in case the link was good, but for some reason the EQ wasn't). All this extra complexity would slow down the whole process, some of our customers VT the links while they are in the studio on-air so the SegEditor to be as fast as possible.

In v4 - you can now choose between the different Normalisation now available, either Peak or RMS.

If your station uses Remote Voice Tracking, then the different quality of the contributors microphones will also be noticeable (unless you are generous and go and buy them all the same brand of USB Mic).

Regards

David Boulton
Brand Manager
Broadcast Radio Ltd
Edited
10 Years Ago by David Boulton
bento90
bento90
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (925 reputation)Forum Sage (925 reputation)Forum Sage (925 reputation)Forum Sage (925 reputation)Forum Sage (925 reputation)Forum Sage (925 reputation)Forum Sage (925 reputation)Forum Sage (925 reputation)Forum Sage (925 reputation)

David,

Thank you for your feedback, I understand that there is indeed a balance needed.

It is however a pain having to go back and edit all of the voice links to compress them when pre-recording. Maybe something to enable if needed? Just a thought.

We'll proceed as we are for now though.

Thank you.

Thanks,

Ben Tolley
Head of Technical
AIR 107.2
philedmonds
philedmonds
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (44K reputation)Forum Sage (44K reputation)Forum Sage (44K reputation)Forum Sage (44K reputation)Forum Sage (44K reputation)Forum Sage (44K reputation)Forum Sage (44K reputation)Forum Sage (44K reputation)Forum Sage (44K reputation)

An obvious first suggestion would be to normalize your voice links to a higher level than your music and other content, this will result in higher peaks, but also higher average audio levels. Try normalizing your voice links to 100% would have some impact in the perceived loudness of the voice links compared to the music (assuming you are normalizing your music to a lower level). I guess that you only have something quite simple as an audio processor on your output, so obviously you will need to be careful if your peak levels are higher on the links that you don't hit and clipping or distortion somewhere in your broadcast chain.

For mic processing on a budget, assuming that your desk has 'inserts' on the Mic channels, I've used a Behringer Composser Pro in the past with decent results as a budget mic processor. These are sub £100 units. There's a few different models, you want the one with the expander/gate and de-esser functions. Behringer used to make a reasonable sounding budget digital mic pre-amp and processor as well but I think this is discontinued.

--
Myriad user since 1998, now custodian of dozens of Myriad,Autotrack, Powerlog and Scoop boxes of many different flavours.
http://www.philedmonds.com
Edited
10 Years Ago by philedmonds
GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums

Search