Upgrading from v3 to v4

Upgrading from v3 to v4

Author
James Hamilton
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (2.8K reputation)Forum Sage (2.8K reputation)Forum Sage (2.8K reputation)Forum Sage (2.8K reputation)Forum Sage (2.8K reputation)Forum Sage (2.8K reputation)Forum Sage (2.8K reputation)Forum Sage (2.8K reputation)Forum Sage (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Thanks, Matt. I'm sure this will be really useful advice for many, and I'll remember to refer back to this when we upgrade at RM!

--

James Hamilton
Technical Officer - Radio Marsden
Matt Wade
Matt Wade
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (98K reputation)Forum Sage (98K reputation)Forum Sage (98K reputation)Forum Sage (98K reputation)Forum Sage (98K reputation)Forum Sage (98K reputation)Forum Sage (98K reputation)Forum Sage (98K reputation)Forum Sage (98K reputation)

OK,

I have made a little list of what I did when I did the install. It will be on my site but pasted below - hope it helps. This way documented is using SQL Authentication rather than windows authentication which shouldn't be a problem for stations with less than 10 playout machines I would say.

Software Needed:-

SQL Server software (SQL 2008R2 Standard or Express recommended)

SQL Native Client software (needed for each workstation - 32bit version) sqlncli_x86.msi

Latest P Squared Full Release software i.e. Myriad Playout / Myriad Autotrack (along with relevant licensing details)

Optional:-

P Squared Bootstuff software to auto launch software on completion of set tasks i.e. server share available.

Firewall Exceptions batch file from P Squared Forum - http://forum.psquared.net/6688/SQL-Firewall-Exceptions

Prep:-

1 - Backup all of your ‘Myriad’ folder contents.

Installation:-

Server

1 - Run Windows Update to ensure server is up to date.

2 - Install SQL Server software

2.1 - Recommended practise is software installed on system (cSmile drive and data directories location is set to D: drive i.e. d:\psquared\myriad.

2.2 - Create user in Management Studio with sysadmin and public rights

2.3 Run Windows update again to ensure SQL server software is up to date.

Autotrack Workstation (recommended to install Autotrack before Playout)

1 - Run Windows update to ensure machine is up to date.

2 - Install Native SQL Client software on machine

3 - Install Myriad Autotrack

4 - Connect to SQL server using SQL Authenication with user details you created on server (this allows anyone to log onto windows on the machine and it not affect the access to the Database).

5 - Once Autotrack is installed and licensed go to File - Import/Upgrade Database and choose your Autotrack Database found in the ‘Autotrck’ folder on your server. This upgrade can take some time and your system will look like it is not responding but just leave it alone!

6 - Run the user importer tool to import your current v3 users.

7 - Run the application and ensure it loads correctly and click on ‘allow’ to any firewall requests. 8 - Run the firewall exceptions batch file on workstation.

Playout Workstation

1 - Run Windows update to ensure machine is up to date.

2 - Install Native SQL Client software on machine

3 - Install Myriad Playout 4 - Connect to SQL server using SQL Authenication with user details you created on server (this allows anyone to log onto windows on the machine and it not affect the access to the Database).

4 - Run the application and ensure it loads correctly and click on ‘allow’ to any firewall requests. 5 - Run the firewall exceptions batch file on workstation.

Gotchas

1 - When entering the server details do not leave anything of the pre-existing text before /SQLExpress. If your server is on a domain you may need to enter the whole domain string rather than just server\SQLEXPRESS.

2 - Don’t forget to install the Native Client software else things just won’t work.

Matt Wade
Need Training or Consultancy for Broadcast Radio Software Products?
Get in touch
w: https://mattwadeonline.co.uk
e: training@mattwadeonline.co.uk
Matt Wade
Matt Wade
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (98K reputation)Forum Sage (98K reputation)Forum Sage (98K reputation)Forum Sage (98K reputation)Forum Sage (98K reputation)Forum Sage (98K reputation)Forum Sage (98K reputation)Forum Sage (98K reputation)Forum Sage (98K reputation)

Thanks for comments so far.

We will be installed the SQL server on our server running Windows Server 2008 R2 and then our workstations are all Windows 7 Pro.
  • User Accounts need to be re-created using Myriad Manager however as long as you name the login 'username' as the same as it was in v3 when that user logs in their instant carts and personal jumps will be there so they don't need to re-create them.
  • It is agreed it is best practise to install Myriad Autotrack before Myriad Playout when upgrading.

Once I have done the upgrade I will document it and let everyone have a copy.

M

Matt Wade
Get in touch
showbizshane
showbizshane
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (86K reputation)Forum Sage (86K reputation)Forum Sage (86K reputation)Forum Sage (86K reputation)Forum Sage (86K reputation)Forum Sage (86K reputation)Forum Sage (86K reputation)Forum Sage (86K reputation)Forum Sage (86K reputation)

I will be installing SQL 2012 STD, bought from CTX Exchange.  In the STD version you can create a backup plans.  This can be sort of done in the Express version with some scripting but easier to manage in the Standard Version.  For performace it is a must to seperate the logs and database on to seperate physical drives.  This can be configured in the instance.
rick jones
rick jones
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (5.3K reputation)Forum Sage (5.3K reputation)Forum Sage (5.3K reputation)Forum Sage (5.3K reputation)Forum Sage (5.3K reputation)Forum Sage (5.3K reputation)Forum Sage (5.3K reputation)Forum Sage (5.3K reputation)Forum Sage (5.3K reputation)

Hi Matt / Shane,

The Version of SQL Express 2008R2 SP1 is only a must if you have the missfortune to be on Windows 8

Windows 7 will just take the SQL Express 2008R2 and the Microsoft update will sort it out.

Before you jump in where angels fear to tread, I would ask the question,

Who will be the SQL DBA at your respective stations?

Does that person have an SQL disaster recovery plan/procedure?

If there is a procedure, can I have a copy?

At the time of writing this, the Myriad/Autotrack Documentation does not cover SQL backup and restore (maybe because its not a Psquared product) 

I'm sure the tech support guys at Psquared towers will help out if it goes boobs up, but it would be nice to have a procedure and not bother them.

Cheers

Rick 
showbizshane
showbizshane
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (86K reputation)Forum Sage (86K reputation)Forum Sage (86K reputation)Forum Sage (86K reputation)Forum Sage (86K reputation)Forum Sage (86K reputation)Forum Sage (86K reputation)Forum Sage (86K reputation)Forum Sage (86K reputation)

I was wondering the same myself as I will be doing an upgrade not a fresh install that is shown on the video's. 
Matt Wade
Matt Wade
Forum Sage

Hi All,

Shall be upgrading a hospital radio station on the 21st April and before I do I wonder if anyone has any best practises to use when doing it.

From reading around it seems it is best to install and run Autotrack before doing Playout.

Also is the new SP of SQL express best to run with from the beginning etc?

ta - Matt

Matt Wade
Get in touch
GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums

Search