So you are about to put Windows 7 on a PC

So you are about to put Windows 7 on a PC

Author
David Boulton
Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio
Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (188K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (188K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (188K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (188K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (188K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (188K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (188K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (188K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (188K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
Just thought we'd give you some of the hints and tips we have discovered over theyears of working with Windows 7 - this is not an exhaustive list, but we hopeyou find it useful.

Don'tforget P Squared Limited are experts at supplying and building PC's to thespecifications you require - contact sales@psquared.netfor more info.

1:Is this a branded PC - Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc?
Make sure the operating system is the 32bit version - why? http://forum.psquared.net/6606/Myriad-v4-Operating-System-Support
Remove all the trial software, from programs & features in the controlpanel
Make sure you create your Windows Image Disk (a lot of these pre-installedsystems don't come with a Windows Disk)
RUN WINDOWS UPDATE - keep doing it until there is nothing left in the list.

2:Turn Off Unnecessary Animations - leave Aero On!

3:Set the Windows Sound Scheme to "No Sounds".

4:Turn Off AutoRun for all Drives and devices.

5:Install an Anti-virus application - we recommend "Microsoft SecurityEssentials". Then you'll need to either you Myriad file locations to the excludedfolders list, or more safely add a list of excluded file types - http://forum.psquared.net/3128//Antivirus-and-problems-with-MyriadScoop-pausing-periodically?Keywords=virus

6Tongueower Savings, if this is a 24hr/day playout PC - try not to let the Hard DiskDrives fall asleep after 20 mins - Screen savers can cause glitches wheninitiated. IMPORTANTLY, check the advanced power savings on your NetworkInterface card, if it goes to sleep that can cause problems if no one hasaccessed the data from another terminal in a while (such as overnight).

7:If you want the PC to restart automatically after a power faliure, maker surethe BIOS is set to allow this functionality, then you can set a user to autologin - be aware that these entries are in clear text in the registry, soanyone can see the password.

REGADD "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\winlogon " /v"AutoAdminLogon" /t REG_SZ /d "1" /f
REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\winlogon "/v "DefaultPassword" /t REG_SZ /d "myriad" /f
REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\winlogon "/v "DefaultUserName" /t REG_SZ /d "Myriad" /f

8:When adding the above user account, make sure the password is set to"Never Expire", and that the user cannot change it, as it will breakthe Auto Login if they do!

9:Need to update the time form an internet time service, follow theseinstructions http://forum.psquared.net/5798//Windows-7-Time-Service-Stops-Unexpectedly-Drifting-Time?Keywords=w32time

10:For Myriad v4 family of products - Install SQL - http://forum.psquared.net/6244/Installing-and-Configuring-Microsoft-SQL-Server-for-Myriad-v4?Keywords=anti%20virus#bm6338

11:Install all the correct drivers for the hardware, check the P Squared Technical support pages for advise on specific hardware.

12: WINDOWS UPDATE AGAIN!

Oh and good luck!

Regards

David Boulton
Brand Manager
Broadcast Radio Ltd
Andy Tijou
Andy Tijou
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)Forum Sage (8.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Having just built a Windows 7 PC, the only thing I would add is that straight after installing Win 7 Pro SP1, I tried to install the drivers for teh PCI-1750 GPIO card.

It said it couldn't because of driver signing, so I changed those settings in gpedit however it still came up with the same error message.

I installed all the updates, and once I did that, the driver showed as being installed and working. I guess that signed devices was one of the updates I downloaded.

Is the 32-Bit thing still a thing?

Chief Engineer
Epsom Hospital Radio
www.epsomhospitalradio.org.uk

GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums