Replacement for the Avantech PCI card

Replacement for the Avantech PCI card

Author
davidg
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (2.2K reputation)Forum Sage (2.2K reputation)Forum Sage (2.2K reputation)Forum Sage (2.2K reputation)Forum Sage (2.2K reputation)Forum Sage (2.2K reputation)Forum Sage (2.2K reputation)Forum Sage (2.2K reputation)Forum Sage (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hello.

Unfortunately, it's looking like time to replace the hardware on which we run our Myriads. I say unfortunately as it's been working well for a long time and I'm reluctant to mess with it. However, the hardware is ancient by IT standards and showing signs of end of life. So we're going to embark on a studio overhaul and hopefully come up with something that will be equally stable and current for a few years.

My question is about the card that handles the remote start / stop interface between the mixer desk and the Myriad computer. Is there a USB device that you recommend for this task? And is it configurable by a slightly technically inclined producer as distinct from a capable engineer ;-)

thank you in advance

Dave
Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
Hi Dave,

Absolutely - the Advantech USB 4750 is a great card, with 16 ins and outs on a neat breakout box with screw terminals instead of a D type, so a lot easier to wire onto as well. It's a straightforward card to install as well, just install the Advantech drivers and management software and plug in the USB cable and thats you up and running.

A lot of people have started using these, particularly when using thin 1U PC's that have little PCI card space.

If you drop sales@psquared.net a line they can get you pricing info etc.

------------
Peter Jarrett, Technical Director
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

davidg
davidg
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (2.2K reputation)Forum Sage (2.2K reputation)Forum Sage (2.2K reputation)Forum Sage (2.2K reputation)Forum Sage (2.2K reputation)Forum Sage (2.2K reputation)Forum Sage (2.2K reputation)Forum Sage (2.2K reputation)Forum Sage (2.2K reputation)

Peter - that's welcome information, thank you.

I'll get on the email straight away.

Smile
adyfoot
adyfoot
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (3K reputation)Forum Sage (3K reputation)Forum Sage (3K reputation)Forum Sage (3K reputation)Forum Sage (3K reputation)Forum Sage (3K reputation)Forum Sage (3K reputation)Forum Sage (3K reputation)Forum Sage (3K reputation)

Hi all,

Sorry to bring this post back to the fore but I'm struggling with the best, and most cost effective, way of achieving fader starts with my Airmate mixer.  

I just looked at the prie of one of those Advantech USB cards (I'll need USB as I use a laptop) and they're nearly £200 with delivery.  That's a touch too expensive for my liking (I'd be willing to pay no more than £60).  Other than using a USB 'joystick' to wire my mixer to, is there another way I can achieve this?

If I did get the Advantech, what exactly am I wiring to it?  My understanding is that the Airmate uses the tip and sleeve of a standard 1/4 inch jack to send its pulses.  So how would I wire this to the Advantech?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.  Apologies that I'm not overly strong in the electronics field - this is probably really easy for most!

Regards,

Ady
Liam Burke
Liam Burke
P Squared Employee
P Squared Employee (93K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
Hello,

Beacuse Myriad works with a standard joystick input, you have a lot of options if you just want to add fader starts. If you need output also (say to switch an external source) then you are back to the advantech range.

A bit cheaper option is the Joybox which is designed for SEN use to control software via disabled switches. They are about £120 and we can supply them if needed. We can confirm they work with Myriad. http://www.sensorysoftware.com/119.html

But any USB joystick will work so you could just buy a cheap USB joystick or controller and pull it apart to use the switches to add fader starts.

Liam Burke - Broadcast Radio Ltd

Email: liamb@broadcastradio.com

Telephone: +44 1482 383700
GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums

Search