Importing audio as mp3

Importing audio as mp3

Author
Bruce
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Hi,

We have now upgraded all of our Myriad installations from 3.0 to 3.5 (some 3.5.15, one 3.5.17)

Until now, we've always stored our audio as .wav, however there are some cases where it may be useful to use mp3.

So how do I do it?

I don't want to change the default audiowall format, just be able to change it when importing specific carts.

When I run the "import wizard" by right-clicking on an empty cart, then selecting a MP3 file, I get to the "import audio format" screen.
"Convert the audio to match the audiowall's format" is selected.

However, the following 2 options ("Import the audio in it's exisiting format" and "convert the audio to a specified format") are greyed out.

What do I have to do to "ungrey" these options?

Bruce.

Bruce

In charge of wires & stuff

Celtic Music Radio http://www.celticmusicradio.net

Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (524K reputation)Forum Sage (524K reputation)Forum Sage (524K reputation)Forum Sage (524K reputation)Forum Sage (524K reputation)Forum Sage (524K reputation)Forum Sage (524K reputation)Forum Sage (524K reputation)Forum Sage (524K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
Hi Bruce,

The setting is per computer, so if you wanted to then you can only activate it on specific trusted pcs. If you go into Audio Settings and on the Rec/Import tabe tick the option to allow users to use different formats then it will enable the options in the Import wizard (as well as when straight importing single audio files and using SmoothEdit)

------------
Peter Jarrett, Technical Director
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

Bruce
Bruce
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)

Thanks Peter, that's exactly what I was looking for.

There's one other setting under there that looks useful - under the "advanced" tab, there's a "record files to local disk, then transfer to network" option. That looks like it might be useful, especially when recording very long carts to a network drive.

Where does Myriad store the local copy?

Bruce.

Bruce

Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (524K reputation)Forum Sage (524K reputation)Forum Sage (524K reputation)Forum Sage (524K reputation)Forum Sage (524K reputation)Forum Sage (524K reputation)Forum Sage (524K reputation)Forum Sage (524K reputation)Forum Sage (524K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
Hi Bruce,

With that option, Myriad uses the Windows Users Temp file location (%temp%)

Peter

------------
Peter Jarrett, Technical Director
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

Bruce
Bruce
Forum Sage

Thanks, Peter.

Bruce.

Bruce

djclewes
djclewes
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (4.9K reputation)Forum Sage (4.9K reputation)Forum Sage (4.9K reputation)Forum Sage (4.9K reputation)Forum Sage (4.9K reputation)Forum Sage (4.9K reputation)Forum Sage (4.9K reputation)Forum Sage (4.9K reputation)Forum Sage (4.9K reputation)

i imported all my songs as mp3 128 bit saves a lot of room on my hard drive. when it was wav files 70 files =3gb of storage space for the database alone. now its mp3 i got 2000 songs with less than 3gb database space. 128 bit is cd quality. is cd quality not good enough for any radio station anyway.
Bruce
Bruce
Forum Sage

128 bit mp3 is nowhere near "CD quality". They are hugely compressed, in a lossy format.

The wav files  are "cd quality".

Bruce

Edited
11 Years Ago by Bruce
Craig Arthur
Craig Arthur
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)Forum Sage (85K reputation)

With Bruce on this one.  128kbs MP3 is pretty low quality and every time you edit the file you throw away even more definition, with the price of hard drives today there is no excuse not to use linear .wav files.

Craig Arthur

Engineering & IT Manager
Radio Royal, Royal 2 & Royal Gold.
GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums

Search