Automating Myriad tasks that can't be automated

Automating Myriad tasks that can't be automated

Author
chrisspring
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (20K reputation)Forum Sage (20K reputation)Forum Sage (20K reputation)Forum Sage (20K reputation)Forum Sage (20K reputation)Forum Sage (20K reputation)Forum Sage (20K reputation)Forum Sage (20K reputation)Forum Sage (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi

As I've mentiond in other posts, we gave up on using the blackbox to control the IRN feed as it never worked. Most likely a hardware fault on the box. Anyway I'm using a simple scripting language to switch the news. If you're technically minded with some programming skills have a look at AutoIT. Enables you to automate windows tasks. I think if you get the paid version you can record the tasks and it generates the script for you.

Chris

Chris Spring

Epsom Hospital Radio

Engineering
erewashsound
erewashsound
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)Forum Sage (34K reputation)

We use a piece of software called Power Mixer for £15 you can easily schedule it to mute or unmute an audio source on your soundcard.

So we have the feed from the satelite box sent to Line In on a PC, then Power Mixer unmutes the Line In feed for the news and then mutes it again after it has finished, this then gets sent out of the line out socket to the mixing desk. Its a cheap and effective way of switching the use which usually never fails. It also means presenters can simply leave the fader up.
Matt Wade
Matt Wade
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (95K reputation)Forum Sage (95K reputation)Forum Sage (95K reputation)Forum Sage (95K reputation)Forum Sage (95K reputation)Forum Sage (95K reputation)Forum Sage (95K reputation)Forum Sage (95K reputation)Forum Sage (95K reputation)

A friend of mine Charlie at www.charliedavy.co.uk has a line in/out switching application which is cheap.

I am doing some automation just using batch files and scheduled tasks in windows.

M

Matt Wade
Need Training or Consultancy for Broadcast Radio Software Products?
Get in touch
w: https://mattwadeonline.co.uk
e: training@mattwadeonline.co.uk

Roger Woods
Roger Woods
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (40K reputation)Forum Sage (40K reputation)Forum Sage (40K reputation)Forum Sage (40K reputation)Forum Sage (40K reputation)Forum Sage (40K reputation)Forum Sage (40K reputation)Forum Sage (40K reputation)Forum Sage (40K reputation)

Chris...

Surprised you gave up on the IRN black box.. works a treat and is so simple in its design. If you've got a engineer who's hand with a soldering iron get him to whip of the lid and check the components; a relay and couple of resistors and other bits, in fact if I knew how simple it was going to be I'd have made a more complicated switch at around the same price.

If you had installed it as pre the instructions it would work first time with the PCi1750 control cards. It does require a separate ground to the chassis to compensate the poor ground on the PCi1750.

Wayland's IRN Black Box feeds an AUX input on our Sonifex Redbox studio switch and feeds the news when told to by Myriad.

Roger.

Roger Woods
Producer/Presenter/Engineer
Edited
14 Years Ago by Roger Woods
GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....