Alternatives to a file server

Alternatives to a file server

Author
chrisspring
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (20K reputation)Forum Sage (20K reputation)Forum Sage (20K reputation)Forum Sage (20K reputation)Forum Sage (20K reputation)Forum Sage (20K reputation)Forum Sage (20K reputation)Forum Sage (20K reputation)Forum Sage (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi there

Just bouncing around an idea about using network share(s) rather than a dedicated file server for myriad data. Our setup would be for a 3 PC system. Schedule, Audiowall and Voice custom, with the audiowall PC being the Primary for audio data and the Voice Custom PC being the secondary audio server.

If I use some Windows folder sync'ing software do I just need to sync the audio folders and the {database}.MDB file.?

many thanks

Chris spring

Epsom HR

Chris Spring

Epsom Hospital Radio

Engineering

Bruce
Bruce
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)

We've just installed a NAS (Network Attached Storage) box to do this job. It has 3 Myriad machines using it, plus various others.

A Terabyte of storage, mirrored. Gigabit uplink. Cost less than 300 pounds.

It's been in operation for a week or so, and seems fine.

Bruce.

Bruce

In charge of wires & stuff

Celtic Music Radio http://www.celticmusicradio.net

Simon Davies
Simon Davies
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (22K reputation)Forum Sage (22K reputation)Forum Sage (22K reputation)Forum Sage (22K reputation)Forum Sage (22K reputation)Forum Sage (22K reputation)Forum Sage (22K reputation)Forum Sage (22K reputation)Forum Sage (22K reputation)

What make and model?
Bruce
Bruce
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)Forum Sage (46K reputation)

I went for a Buffalo Linkstation Duo (Buffalo LS-W2.0TGL), but there are plenty of other products out there. If you want a rackmount unit, the price generally doubles. The standalone boxes don't look as neat as a rackable chassis, but they do the same job.

It's been running for a week or two now - it's not my "main" myriad storage; I've got Myriad configured to use it for all carts above 10,000

I'm also using it for my "hi-quality" logs - as well as recording 1000 hours of traffic (at low quality) to keep Ofcom happy, I archive the last 24 hours, in 1 hour chunks, as WAV files - so that's about 600Mb per hour - and automatically pull these into Myriad for repeat programmes. That's being generated on another machine, which writes directly to the filestore that Myriad is using.

And at present it's all connected up at 100Mb/s - one of these days I'll up it to gig..

I paid about 280, inc VAT & pastage, with a 2 year warranty.

Bruce

Adam James
Adam James
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (29K reputation)Forum Sage (29K reputation)Forum Sage (29K reputation)Forum Sage (29K reputation)Forum Sage (29K reputation)Forum Sage (29K reputation)Forum Sage (29K reputation)Forum Sage (29K reputation)Forum Sage (29K reputation)

I like the idea of a NAS. We are shortly launching an automated service at the hospital radio station I work at with Myriad as the playout software and are looking at using mirrored drives in one of the playout PCs for our audio storage, although a dedicated storage drive I think would be a better option, especially as they are now a realistic and reasonable price compared to a few years ago.

Bruce, where did you buy your NAS from? Couldn't find that model online anywhere.

Thanks

Adam

Simon Davies
Simon Davies
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (22K reputation)Forum Sage (22K reputation)Forum Sage (22K reputation)Forum Sage (22K reputation)Forum Sage (22K reputation)Forum Sage (22K reputation)Forum Sage (22K reputation)Forum Sage (22K reputation)Forum Sage (22K reputation)

If you google "Buffalo LS-W2.0TGL" you find a long list of info. Here is one page:

http://www.twenga.co.uk/prices-LinkStation-Pro-Duo-LS-W2.0TGL-R1-BUFFALO-Storage-server-438504-0

£280 from the BT Shop, is the best I can find.

Adam James
Adam James
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (29K reputation)Forum Sage (29K reputation)Forum Sage (29K reputation)Forum Sage (29K reputation)Forum Sage (29K reputation)Forum Sage (29K reputation)Forum Sage (29K reputation)Forum Sage (29K reputation)Forum Sage (29K reputation)

Simon,

That's great, thanks very much.

Adam

Bruce
Bruce
Forum Sage

We got ours from www.lambda-tek.com - £234+VAT. There were several other places selling it for around the same price.

It's now been in operation for about a month, and seems fine.

One "gotcha" - make sure that the "trashbox" facility is turned off - otherwise it keeps copies of all deleted files. Including everytime you modify a track with smoothedit w00t

So we found that our terabyte of storage was 60% used after a fortnight, but the "real content" in there was only about 9%. In the "trashbox" folder were about a dozen copies of each of a number of 1-hour WAV files....

Bruce

GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums

Search