IRN Net News

IRN Net News

Author
John Williamson
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (53K reputation)Forum Sage (53K reputation)Forum Sage (53K reputation)Forum Sage (53K reputation)Forum Sage (53K reputation)Forum Sage (53K reputation)Forum Sage (53K reputation)Forum Sage (53K reputation)Forum Sage (53K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi All

Since adding IRN news network to our scoop capture the audio that came in on Saturday (sport) via the feed from the com port was stuttering

This never happen before adding IRN net news room

we have them both set @ 9001 to 9100

John
Kendal Hospital Radio
David Boulton
David Boulton
Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio
Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (191K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (191K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (191K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (191K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (191K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (191K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (191K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (191K reputation)Brand Manager - Broadcast Radio (191K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
John,

check out the latest beta of Scoop 3.0.21 which has some improved handling for the hard work Scoop now has to do when downloading audio at the same time as recording a live feed.

As always have a look at the update info document and read our beta policy before installing any beta software.

http://support.psquared.net/betasexplained.htm

Regards

David Boulton
Brand Manager
Broadcast Radio Ltd
John Williamson
John Williamson
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (53K reputation)Forum Sage (53K reputation)Forum Sage (53K reputation)Forum Sage (53K reputation)Forum Sage (53K reputation)Forum Sage (53K reputation)Forum Sage (53K reputation)Forum Sage (53K reputation)Forum Sage (53K reputation)

Hi David

I got the beta version off your site and when i installed it i was asked for features code etc and it wouldn't let me do it on line that was the scoop capture thought i had better leave it as we need it working

Why was it asking for features codes again? thought it was easy to unistall and install the new version

So i had to reinstall the previous version back in

As this is a busy time for me i am unable to get to the studio during the daytime

So i possibly have to wait until the new year

John :roll:
Richard Payne
Richard Payne
Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd.
Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)

I'll talk to you about these issues on email since we need to discuss some of the personal info we store about you.

[Follow up note from Peter Jarrett:] According to the Licensing server, the license code request had come from Scoop Edit rather than Capture - a very easy mistake to make as the 2 installer's names are only slightly different Smile
John Williamson
John Williamson
Forum Sage

I have installed v21 of scoop and it still stutters when taking the live feeds from IRN Sat

John
Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (522K reputation)Forum Sage (522K reputation)Forum Sage (522K reputation)Forum Sage (522K reputation)Forum Sage (522K reputation)Forum Sage (522K reputation)Forum Sage (522K reputation)Forum Sage (522K reputation)Forum Sage (522K reputation)

Hi John,

Whats the spec of the Capture Machine you have - i.e. CPU, Memory, Operating System and souncard?

------------
Peter Jarrett, Technical Director
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

John Williamson
John Williamson
Forum Sage

Intel pentium 111
651mhz
128mb ram
soundcard Via Audio (wave)
windows xp professional

John
Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (522K reputation)Forum Sage (522K reputation)Forum Sage (522K reputation)Forum Sage (522K reputation)Forum Sage (522K reputation)Forum Sage (522K reputation)Forum Sage (522K reputation)Forum Sage (522K reputation)Forum Sage (522K reputation)

Hi John,

Ok - thanks for that.

Unfortunately the spec is quite a bit under what we would recommend for Scoop v3 which definitely explains the problems it's having with realtime recording and websurfing at the same time.

In practice as you have seen, doing one or the other is usually OK, but I would guess that if Scoop does some 'housekeeping' (which happens once an hour) at the same time as capturing realtime audio then you will also hear some skips. Scoop v3 is quite a bit more complex that Scoop v1 and 2 - the biggest being when importing audio from Web or FTP sites it has to re-process the audio to make sure its the correct sample rate and volume level before importing onto the audiowall. This is particularly important with IRN becuase their audio is 48Khz samplerate and this sounds very odd if it's not processed correctly when played out from a (normal) 44Khz Audiowall.

You will be able to give this PC quite a significant peformance boost by upgrading the memory to 256 or ideally 512Mb of memory - this gives XP a lot more room to breathe (it's notorious for being a memory hog - particularly on slightly older computers)

The one thing I couldn't guarantee is whether this would be enough to allow the PC to run normally though.

To give you an idea of a minimum ideal spec, I would say an Intel Celeron 2Ghz with 512 Mb of memory and a good quality soundcard. The other thing to check is to make sure that the Chipset on the motherboard is a genuine intel chipset as we've historically had a lot of problems with other manufacturers such as Via and SiS (though I think SiS may now be defunct?)

Obviously the faster the PC the better, but that gives you a starting point to work from. The memory may well give you just enough of a boost, but unforunately there aren't any guarantees.

------------
Peter Jarrett, Technical Director
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums

Search