GMT & BST - How do I set it up?

GMT & BST - How do I set it up?

Author
Simon Temple
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
The title says it all, Our powerlog / client now is showing the time one hour ahead, since we went to summertime. I'm at a loss as to how to correct it, as the time on teh Powerlog PC is correct.

What setting have I got wrong?

(we're using W2K, with K9 / tardis for time synch on our network)
Cheers
Simon Temple
Richard Payne
Richard Payne
Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd.
Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi Simon,

This is a common problem and stems from a misconception. I'm assuming that you server's clock is set to automatically adjust for daylight saving time. There is a serious problem with this when time jumps backward in the Autumn. Powerlog use date/time encoded filenames to make navigating the log folders easy. However, what happens is that it will record the 01:00 - 01:59 hour and then the clock will jump back to 01:00 again. It will then proceed to overwrite the 01:00 BST hour with the 01:00 GMT hour.

The solution is run the server on GMT. Since GMT time is flat there is no problem with jumping of any sort. The times displayed on the client are adjusted for you based on a set of rules which can be found in the Settings menu of the client. These rules default to British standards. Note that some older versions had an incorrect default setting for the fallback point (September, not October) so check that they are correct.

Now, the only potential spanner in the works is Tardis. If it sets the clock to the 'current' time and ignores DST settings then it could cause trouble by setting your GMT server to BST times. I'm not too familiar with it so I can't say for sure.
Am I right in saying that if you are using K9 then the Powerlog Server is drawing its time from another machine of the LAN running Tardis?
If so then if you have problems with it setting the server clock to the current BST time then lose K9 entirely and use Windows' built in time sync service. Since this is a comms protocol between two LAN PCs it does not matter that you will be using Tardis instead of a radion clock at the time server.
GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums

Search