Broadcast Radio Forums

Windows 7

http://forums.broadcastradio.com/Topic3396.aspx

By Peter Jarrett - Friday, July 31, 2009 4:00:03 PM

Hi Mark,

We have now published our Windows 7 Support statement which can be found at http://support.psquared.net/Windows7Support.htm

The basic gist is that we will be skipping Windows Vista and going straight to Windows 7. We are hoping that this we be quite quick and are currently working towards January next year as our start date to give Windows 7 time to 'bed-in' Smile
By Matt Wade - Friday, March 4, 2011 9:07:06 AM

We are looking to setup a couple of Windows 7 machines as Studio Myriad machines. Do people have recommendations of how to setup Windows 7 in terms of turning things off/on etc for best experience.

Also looking at ways to restrict access to windows explorer and direct access to the folder structure.

any tips - welcomed

Matt
By Mark Carney - Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:04:05 PM

Hi to all,

I have a pre sales enquiry regarding the P Squared range of products in relation to the supported OS platform.

As I have already read within both this forum and main website alike, I note the software is still predominately adapted for WinXP which is well and truly doing to be withdrawn with regards to sales and support by Microsoft. In light of the impending Windows 7 to replace Vista which has not been warmly welcomed by the business community I wondered what P Squared development plan was on cross developing the entire product range to support the new OS.

I would anticipate new hardware (PC/Servers) are going to be very hard to purchase with the older already supported OS platforms. Microsoft will offer support until 2013, when they will terminate the life cycle of XP, which has been for 13 years and must be the longest of any MS product to date.

May I kindly ask what the views are regarding this.

Regards

Mark
By Matt Wade - Friday, December 31, 2010 2:17:36 PM

Does Myriad work under 64-bit Windows 7 or only 32?

ta - M
By Mark Carney - Saturday, January 1, 2011 10:56:17 PM

Hi Matt,

To my knowledge there is not an issue with Myriad, I have one system on 64bit however must admit my others are on 32bit. To date I have not had any issues which are unique to the 64bit version so from my point of view its OK.

Your main issue will be compatibility with hardware drivers such as your sound-card, if you have these covered then give it a go.

If you use the Delta 1010 as we do then they have working Windows 64bit drivers

If you have a fitted Advantech 1750 in the same machine then you may come unstuck as there are only 32bit drivers at the time of writing but I may be wrong on this.
By Liam Burke - Sunday, January 2, 2011 11:24:48 AM

I run myriad on my laptop using win 7 64bit with no issues.

As mentioned, hardware drivers are likely to be the problem.
By Peter Jarrett - Tuesday, January 4, 2011 12:54:14 PM

Hi All,

Officially (http://support.psquared.net/softsupport.htm#Operating_System_Support) we don't support any of our products on 64Bit OSs - this is due to a combination of the issues as noted above about hardware drivers (though these are improving) but also the Windows registry works in a very different way when running 32bit applications on a 64bit OS and this can cause a lot of headaches when we are trying to assist when users have problems.

Unofficially, most of our newer laptops run 64bit and have no issues with the software side at all. Even the older v2 products seem to work very well and they weren't even designed for Windows XP!

By Peter Jarrett - Monday, April 18, 2011 1:09:50 PM

Hi Paul, are you using v3.5.16 or higher on that Win7 machine? we did a lot of work do improve the reliability of Myriad on Win7 for that build which was obviously then carried on into later builds.

One thing you may find usefull - though Microsoft recommend against it - is to turn off UAC completely. As long as you have a good human security policy - i.e. users know not to just install any old rubbish on them -  and you have an AV solution such as AVG Pro or Microsoft Security Essentials then you shouldn't have any security related issues.

UAC is very good, but a pain in the a..e for use on dediated function computers like those running Myriad.
By paulmoore - Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:11:03 AM

were using the latest release of Myriad and I'll check the UAC is off, users arent allowed to download anything on our playout pc's anyway as they are all on restricted use.
By paulmoore - Saturday, April 16, 2011 7:49:48 AM

We have Win7 in 1 of our 3 studios, the production studio, Myriad works very well although it does crash if you edit for too long or if you rush when using myriad,
Also pain in the bum when it comes to adobe audition too, as you need to enter username and password all the time,
via windows defender. Until we have to we are stcking with XP on all our other pc's.