Broadcast Radio Forums

Shared Folder Permissions

http://forums.broadcastradio.com/Topic2212.aspx

By drak2 - Tuesday, July 31, 2007 6:11:23 PM

Hello,

The 'psquared' folder of our Myriad computer that stores all the files is shared across the network so that our other computers can access the audiowall etc.

How can I set this folder to only be accessible by certain computers? Currently any computer on the network can access the folder, take copies of the contents or delete it all! (although it is backed up nightly it would be a drag to restore it all)

I’ve disabled ‘simple file sharing’ and had a poke around but can’t seem to work out how require a password or set which computers can access the folder.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Tom Morris
Siren FM

By philedmonds - Friday, January 22, 2010 9:17:59 PM

paul.blitz (5/27/2009)
I'm not sure if you can easily set up permissions based on MACHINES... the concept of Windows is based more on USERS... so a Domain Administrator can login to any machine, and be a network administrator etc.

Indeed Windows works on user names - the workaround is that the 'machines' you want to access the files use different user names to log into Windows, than the ones which you don't want to access. Then set-up the permissions on the file share to match the users, or groups that you put the users in, to allow write access to the 'Myriad' user names, not the others.