Broadcast Radio Forums

Virus paranoia

http://forums.broadcastradio.com/Topic1493.aspx

By Chris Weaving - Tuesday, August 24, 2004 9:25:21 AM

Hi all.
I'd appreciate people's thoughts on this;
I use Myriad & Autotrack in a home studio set-up (I'm a freelance radio jock).
I have 2 x 200 Gb Maxtor ATA 133 hard drives, wired up to a ATA hard drive controller card (not the IDE controller on my motherboard).
Hard drive one contains 2 partitions - one for Windows XP (Home Edition) of 20 Gb, and the second for Myriad audio data (PCM) at approx. 175 Gb.
The other hard drive is one partition, containing all the Myriad and Autotrack system files, along with more audio data.
It's all backed up on a 400 Gb Lacie external USB drive.

The other day, I got a virus - Bloodhound something and Psyme something or other - both low-risk Trojan Horse viruses according to the Symantec website). Norton Antivirus 2004 stopped it and denied access for these Trojan Horse viruses to run. I had inadvertently disabled auto-protect momentarily, though.
Running NAV 2004 found an infected file, though, and deleted it.
The viruses were only in my temporary internet files folder, i.e. on my main Windows XP drive, and nothing had got onto my system and damaged it in anyway- this was confirmed by running a full system scan.
They try to run a program by utilising a flaw in IE 6.
I have an up-to-date system, having used Windows Update regulary, but still had this problem (although the viruses were blocked by NAV anyway).
I also use Zone Alarm firewall.
Anyway - now my point - at last !
I have since re-formatted my main hard drive that contains my Windows XP Operating system, where the virus infection occurred using a low-level re-format-which has taken hours !
I have re-installed Windows XP, and all seems O.K.
Is this a bit O.T.T. to re-format after a virus infection, and should I also consider re-formatting the other drive on my system ?
NAV 2004 now finds nothing at all on any drives, including the external Lacie backup drive.
I obviously don't want to re-format the backup drive, as I would lose all my Myriad and Autotrack data if I also re-format the other drive on my system that contains this data.
The P.C. is used heavily by myself for my radio work, thus the paranoia !
And there's all that data at risk.....I do think there is a tendency to over-react though with viruses - especially as these were low-risk ones.

Your thoughts are welcome.
By Chris Weaving - Wednesday, June 21, 2006 4:09:39 PM

Well guys, everything is back up and running fine, and NAV reports no viruses on any drives (including the external drive).
Thanks for your input.

One quickie - my second hard drive (purely used for storage) - should this be a primary partition or a logical one ? Does it matter ?
I know you can have up to 4 primary partitions on an OS - so long as only one is set active and bootable (the OS one).
The main hard disc contains 2 partitions - one primary and bootable containg my OS (XP Home Edition), the other a logical one containing audio data.