Backing up with Dropbox

Backing up with Dropbox

Author
m1live
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (1.1K reputation)Forum Sage (1.1K reputation)Forum Sage (1.1K reputation)Forum Sage (1.1K reputation)Forum Sage (1.1K reputation)Forum Sage (1.1K reputation)Forum Sage (1.1K reputation)Forum Sage (1.1K reputation)Forum Sage (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi All

Just wanted to post a little tip that I was able to execute this evening which may come in useful to some people.

Even though storage is relatively cheap these days, USB backup drives etc... I wanted to have a solid way to make sure my myriad installation was fully backed up remotely in the event of a meltdown.

I run Music One out of NYC and i'm lucky enough to have fiber optic broadband directly into my "studio" (read: teeny tiny nyc apartment).

I have a paid dropbox account which gives me 1TB for $100 a year and I wanted to see how I could put that to use backing up my myriad installation.

If you use dropbox, you'll know it only syncs files within the dropbox folder, and typically I'd already installed myriad in c:\psquared.

Here's what I did.

1) Install Dropbox
2) Select to selectively sync only one folder (in my case Music One) to prevent the on-air machine having all my personal junk synced to it
3) Stopped Myriad
4) Moved the PSquared Directory to c:\users\Music One\Dropbox\Music One\PSquared
5) Created a symbolic link back to the content using the command

mklink /d c:\Psquared "C:\Users\Music One\Dropbox\Music One\PSquared"

6) Restarted Myriad

Bingo... The station is back online and My Myriad installation is now uploading all my files to the cloud and at my current speed reckons it'll take about 2 hours to complete. My internet upload is 60meg so that'll explain why it's not going to be so painful.

Forgot to mention, dropbox also has the ability to restore a previous VERSION of a file which i'm sure will come in useful at some point.

Pete/Liam & Team.. hope you don't mind me posting this. Just was rather impressed with myself at how easy it was. Of course, the geek in me is now thinking ALL sorts of stuff!

Hope this is useful, or intriguing to someone out there!

Cheers

Rich @ www.musicone.fm (shameless plug)

Craig Arthur
Craig Arthur
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (83K reputation)Forum Sage (83K reputation)Forum Sage (83K reputation)Forum Sage (83K reputation)Forum Sage (83K reputation)Forum Sage (83K reputation)Forum Sage (83K reputation)Forum Sage (83K reputation)Forum Sage (83K reputation)

We have been doing exactly the same with Radio Royal for the past 11 months.  Keeps both file servers in sync and of course the file versioning makes restoring easy as well.

Craig Arthur

Engineering & IT Manager
Radio Royal, Royal 2 & Royal Gold.
philedmonds
philedmonds
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)

Just remember, Myriad v4 users, that just synchronising the PSquared data directory by any means, Dropbox or something else, that this won't be backing up your SQL database.

Also I wouldn't rely on a cloud backup as your "only" backup. USB drives are cheap as chips these days.

--
Myriad user since 1998, now custodian of dozens of Myriad,Autotrack, Powerlog and Scoop boxes of many different flavours.
http://www.philedmonds.com
Craig Arthur
Craig Arthur
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (83K reputation)Forum Sage (83K reputation)Forum Sage (83K reputation)Forum Sage (83K reputation)Forum Sage (83K reputation)Forum Sage (83K reputation)Forum Sage (83K reputation)Forum Sage (83K reputation)Forum Sage (83K reputation)

Always good to keep backups of the SQL, ours back up every night both to dropbox and an off site server. 

I think we have about 10 copies of the file based data spread around 4 different machines spread over at least 6 hard drives with backups running weekly and fortnightly.

Craig Arthur

Engineering & IT Manager
Radio Royal, Royal 2 & Royal Gold.
GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums

Search