Antivirus and firewall software

Antivirus and firewall software

Author
Chris Weaving
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (9.6K reputation)Forum Sage (9.6K reputation)Forum Sage (9.6K reputation)Forum Sage (9.6K reputation)Forum Sage (9.6K reputation)Forum Sage (9.6K reputation)Forum Sage (9.6K reputation)Forum Sage (9.6K reputation)Forum Sage (9.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi.

I'd be interested to hear what antivirus and firewall software people use on their Myriad workstations.
I was previously using NAV 2003 and Zone Alarm.
I've given NAV 2005, Symantec Personal Firewall and Norton Internet Security a try, but there are conflicts within the programs which I'm not happy about.
I am using a stand-alone PC in a home studio for production work (i.e. not networked).
Obviosuly, those on a network may well use a hardware firewall.
I'm using Windows XP Professional.

Cheers.

Chris.
HRTW
HRTW
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (4.1K reputation)Forum Sage (4.1K reputation)Forum Sage (4.1K reputation)Forum Sage (4.1K reputation)Forum Sage (4.1K reputation)Forum Sage (4.1K reputation)Forum Sage (4.1K reputation)Forum Sage (4.1K reputation)Forum Sage (4.1K reputation)

As far as our setup at Hospital Radio Tunbridge Wells goes, we use AVG SoHo anti virus software on all our workstations (W2K) and connect to the internet using WinGate proxy server and firewall which is installed on a dedicated computer (PII 800, hardly a server!) . Both are nicely inexpensive solutions. Obviously everything is networked so WinGate might not be for you but I'd recommend AVG which you can get free for personal use.

Will
Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)Forum Sage (514K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
In the office here we use Symantec Antivirus 9 Corporate edition. Relatively inexpensive, plus you can centrally manage every workstation and assign the to different groups so they use different settings.

For instance, we have a desktops group that runs a full scan every wedneday at 5pm and won't allow the users to stop the realtime scanner.

We then have another for Laptops (it's the same, but runs its scan first thing on Monday mornings while we have our monday morning meeting).

We have a server group that handles the servers (running their scans on a sunday night)

Finally we have the development test group which is used by all the test hardware here running the trial builds of the software which runs scans at some ungodly hour over the weekend so it doesn't interfere with the main tests.

We have ours set up to \"liveupdate\" from the symantec website every 4 hours so we always have the latest definitions on all the computers.

We've never had any problems with them other than when the full scan runs it can make audio stutter once or twice on myriad machines - hence why it's run in the middle of the night. You can change the configuration quite easily though to reduce which files it's scanning to help this further.

Also for those using Active Directory Domains, it can be pushed out by a group policy object so the moment you install a new computer into the office it automatically installs it - so no excuses!

------------
Peter Jarrett, Technical Director
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

Iain Shortreed
Iain Shortreed
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (6.1K reputation)Forum Sage (6.1K reputation)Forum Sage (6.1K reputation)Forum Sage (6.1K reputation)Forum Sage (6.1K reputation)Forum Sage (6.1K reputation)Forum Sage (6.1K reputation)Forum Sage (6.1K reputation)Forum Sage (6.1K reputation)

That sounds really useful! Are the laptops on wireless? If so what happens if you update a policy and they aren't connected at the time (presumably when they are reconnected it is reconfigured)?
Chris Weaving
Chris Weaving
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (9.6K reputation)Forum Sage (9.6K reputation)Forum Sage (9.6K reputation)Forum Sage (9.6K reputation)Forum Sage (9.6K reputation)Forum Sage (9.6K reputation)Forum Sage (9.6K reputation)Forum Sage (9.6K reputation)Forum Sage (9.6K reputation)

We have Symantec Antivirus version 9 at work, which states it can be used on a stand-alone PC, which would be ideal for my situation in my home studio with Myriad.
I would like to use it with a software firewall such as Zone Alarm or Norton Personal Firewall.
Has anyone had experience of a set-up like this, or does anyone foresee any problems with this ?
I know consumer Antivirus products can have compatibility issues with each other, but I'm after a professional solution such as Symantec AV 9.
philedmonds
philedmonds
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)Forum Sage (42K reputation)

[quote:b36b4d2384=\"Chris Weaving\"]We have Symantec Antivirus version 9 at work, which states it can be used on a stand-alone PC, which would be ideal for my situation in my home studio with Myriad.
I would like to use it with a software firewall such as Zone Alarm or Norton Personal Firewall.
Has anyone had experience of a set-up like this, or does anyone foresee any problems with this ?
I know consumer Antivirus products can have compatibility issues with each other, but I'm after a professional solution such as Symantec AV 9.[/quote]

Zone Alarm seems fine with Myriad on our Office Machine, but you do seem to need to give Myriad permission to 'act as a server'.

As for AV I've used F-Prot and AVG (obviously not both on the same sysetm) with Myriad without any problems. I tend to avoid Norton Anti-Virus, as I've heard lots of bad stories about it.

--
Myriad user since 1998, now custodian of dozens of Myriad,Autotrack, Powerlog and Scoop boxes of many different flavours.
http://www.philedmonds.com
GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums

Search