Myriad & EBU R128 Loudness Normalisation

Myriad & EBU R128 Loudness Normalisation

Author
Mark Carney
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (7.6K reputation)Forum Sage (7.6K reputation)Forum Sage (7.6K reputation)Forum Sage (7.6K reputation)Forum Sage (7.6K reputation)Forum Sage (7.6K reputation)Forum Sage (7.6K reputation)Forum Sage (7.6K reputation)Forum Sage (7.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi,

Is there any information on whether a future release of the Myriad family of software will be EBU R128 compliant when importing audio rather than peak or RMS?

I only ask as have recently rebuilt my entire station audio database which is now broadcasting live and decided to make the jump and have re-sampled everything to -23 LUFS even though it is still only really being used by all the TV guys here in the UK.

I used some fantastic software algorithms written by the guy's at Auphonic to accomplish it. They offer a FREE 2 hours per month of audio processing time and allow you to buy more if needed on their website. If like me you have a lot to do in one go then either let them do it in bulk for you or as I did purchase their standalone batch desktop application.

I then simply copied the original myriad WAV audio files into their application, saved to alternative (EBU128R) folder first to double check (Was always 100% perfect) then simply replaced the original WAV files. The resulting audio is equal loudness (PPM4) with momentary peaks. So the question is there away their API could be included within Myriad and an auto audio importer normalisation option could be created. Currently any new audio I add (Commercials, Music, Jingles, Sweepers) are done peak then once the audio has finish importing I simply take the cart numbers copy the WAV files and then replace once they have been through the EBU R128 process. The extra headroom is amazing and the audio processor / limiter is no longer dealing with multiple clipping issue due to the various factors such as a presenter who has to watch out for if he or she is inexperienced and over driving the desk.

The magic of their software comes alive if you a prerecorded peace of audio such as interview or show and the mic levels are not the same, check out the examples on website. Its impressive.

https://auphonic.com/landing

Here is their blog with the latest news information. https://auphonic.com/blog/

Old but interesting news; Swedish Radio and NRK Radio to implement EBU R128
http://www.psneurope.com/swedish-radio-implement-loudness-controls/

The BBC Academy has some nice videos on the subject for those not up to speed on EBU R128
http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/technology/article/art20140311134746085

Regards
Mark Carney
Chief Executive & Technical Advisor
Digital Hits Network Limited

Digital Hits One
Home of the Big Hits ...
Online . DAB . 104.4fm
www.digitalhits.one
Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (149K reputation)Forum Sage (149K reputation)Forum Sage (149K reputation)Forum Sage (149K reputation)Forum Sage (149K reputation)Forum Sage (149K reputation)Forum Sage (149K reputation)Forum Sage (149K reputation)Forum Sage (149K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the detailed info - we've only briefly come across R128 in the past, we'll take a look and see if it's something we can include in the v5 roadmap Smile

------------
Peter Jarrett, Technical Director
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

Mark Carney
Mark Carney
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (7.6K reputation)Forum Sage (7.6K reputation)Forum Sage (7.6K reputation)Forum Sage (7.6K reputation)Forum Sage (7.6K reputation)Forum Sage (7.6K reputation)Forum Sage (7.6K reputation)Forum Sage (7.6K reputation)Forum Sage (7.6K reputation)

Thanks Peter for your reply, here's hoping you and the team can do the usual magic of making Myriad first class!
I look forward to all the new v5 enhancements in the future although v4 is still very impressive when you compare it to v3 so you all certainly have your work cut out. Smile

Regards
Mark Carney
Chief Executive & Technical Advisor
Digital Hits Network Limited

Digital Hits One
Home of the Big Hits ...
Online . DAB . 104.4fm
www.digitalhits.one
Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (149K reputation)Forum Sage (149K reputation)Forum Sage (149K reputation)Forum Sage (149K reputation)Forum Sage (149K reputation)Forum Sage (149K reputation)Forum Sage (149K reputation)Forum Sage (149K reputation)Forum Sage (149K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
Mark Carney (7/8/2016)
Thanks Peter for your reply, here's hoping you and the team can do the usual magic of making Myriad first class!
I look forward to all the new v5 enhancements in the future although v4 is still very impressive when you compare it to v3 so you all certainly have your work cut out. Smile

Well, there is a LOT of work going into the v5 family, and it's a huge project, but even with the features we already have in the (very!) early internal versions we're all getting quite excited, and some of the stuff thats due to come along is REALLY cool .... But then I would say that Wink

------------
Peter Jarrett, Technical Director
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

Anorak Jim
Anorak Jim
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)

I would like to add that Marks request would be awesome to see in V5 also Smile
GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums

Search