Running Autotrack in Terminal services

Running Autotrack in Terminal services

Author
philedmonds
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)Forum Sage (43K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I'm pondering something.

I've got a potential situation were I've got one licence for Autotrack, and at any one time only one user needs to access autotrack. However this will be in an office were we'd be 'hot desking' and in an ideal world any user could sit at any terminal to do their work. Ideally I don't want to tie autotrack to one computer.

A solution that came to mind was to run Autotrack on a Terminal Services server, and then any client could access this across the network as needed.

Has anyone had any experience of running Autotrack (and possibly Ad Manager and other tools) in such an environment? Of course I might not need a full blown terminal services solution - just RDP'ing into a regular "workstation" box may suffice for one user at a time.

--
Myriad user since 1998, now custodian of dozens of Myriad,Autotrack, Powerlog and Scoop boxes of many different flavours.
http://www.philedmonds.com
bernard
bernard
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)Forum Sage (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Surely Autotrack has to be installed on a computer somewhere ... have you considered VPN or remote desktop providing you have the network capacity and speed, plus the overhead capacity on the machine that autotrack would sit on.

I'd love to be able to have remote auto track access, would it be possible to run it as a server application and access it from wherever in the world one happens to be, be it in the same room or half way round the glove?

Does the latest version of ad manager have to sit on a machine with a full myriad installation?
Edited
13 Years Ago by bernard
Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
Terminal Services (or RemoteApp or Remote Desktops in 2008/R2) is a very tricky one to manage - both physically and legally Smile

From the legal side, you are licensed as a Single User license - meaning that only a single User can use each copy at a time on a single licensed machine. This doesn't stop you putting in on a TS box, but you MUST make sure that you enforce the options to only allow a single user to run it at a time. If your TS solution doesn't offer this option then you run the risk of breaching the license terms.

That all said, it may be irrelevant, as I'm darned if I can get AutoTrack to work under TS anyway! Myriad seems to run Ok, and AdManager would probably therefore run OK.

Personally if you need to do this I would just use straight Remote Desktop to a Windows Client PC (i.e. XP or Win7) and (shudders to mention!) turn on Audio Redirection. Just make sure it's not a box that will be used on air otherwise the "live" soundcard will be kicked out from under Myriad when you connect and you will go off-air!

------------
Peter Jarrett, Technical Director
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
Bernard: With Myriad v3.5 and v3.6 you can run Ad Manager on a totally separate PC if you like.

------------
Peter Jarrett, Technical Director
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums

Search