Windows XP

Windows XP

Author
Tim Sargent
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)Forum Sage (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I gave up within half an hour.... Ran xp pro.... installed myriad - crash, jitter, stall, lock, freeze-yuck!!

Windows 2k sp4 is the way forward people!!
Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)

Group: Broadcast Radio
Just a quick Update on our tests here running SP2 - so far, so good!

The last reboot of the machine was the 19/07/2004 and since then hasn't needed to be rebooted at all - a far cry from having to do it once a week!

Unfortunately we will have to reboot today to update to the full release version of SP2 so the test will have to be restarted, but we will of course keep you posted.

------------
Peter Jarrett, Technical Director
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

Iain Shortreed
Iain Shortreed
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (6.1K reputation)Forum Sage (6.1K reputation)Forum Sage (6.1K reputation)Forum Sage (6.1K reputation)Forum Sage (6.1K reputation)Forum Sage (6.1K reputation)Forum Sage (6.1K reputation)Forum Sage (6.1K reputation)Forum Sage (6.1K reputation)

Im gonna be running XP SP2 with Myriad for 30 days test license. It should be on 24/7 doing jingles, sweepers and songs. It will be automated some of the time and used live some of the time.

If i find any problems i'll let y'all know and update you all on how long it can stay up for.

Before i test it might be an idea to downgrade to 2k sp4 though as preferably i dont want it to crash at all.
Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)Forum Sage (521K reputation)

Well the time has finally come to reboot the Windows XP SP2 test box.

The sad thing is that it's not becuase the box itself is having any problems - it's actually running like a total dream - and has been since August 16th.... which I make 121 days....

Its actually becuase an update (from WindowsUpdate) to the server (running Windows2003) that it's running from needs a reboot and has knocked out part of the domain that it's running on.

We've left it for a week or so just to see, but sadly we have to now reboot the server and therefore the test machines running from it :-(

Ah well, I guess we'll have to restart the test and see how much over 121 days it can go for - certainly I have no reason to suspect it was going to fall over any time soon.. So All in all a pretty good thumbs up with Windows XP SP2 on the hardware spec listed (way) above.

At present the recommendation is still that 2000 is the best platform for mission critical but that XP/SP2 is fine for everywhere else. Give the above test though it is likely that this will change in the new year and of course we will post here as soon as we've made final decisions.

PS - If/when we do change to XP being fully recommended for mission critical machines then at the same time we will change to preinstalling Windows XP installed instead of 2000 on all PC's that we supply . If you need 2000 for other reasons then please let Sales know when you place any orders.

------------
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Bill Bailey: No win, no fee, no basis in reality. Just a room above a minicab office in Acton and a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness

Chris Weaving
Chris Weaving
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (9.7K reputation)Forum Sage (9.7K reputation)Forum Sage (9.7K reputation)Forum Sage (9.7K reputation)Forum Sage (9.7K reputation)Forum Sage (9.7K reputation)Forum Sage (9.7K reputation)Forum Sage (9.7K reputation)Forum Sage (9.7K reputation)

I have happily run Myriad under XP Home Edition for a while now, although there are a few glitches every now and again (things like opening another program causes the audio to run at double speed).
I use Myriad in a home studio, so it's not a mission-critical setup, but I suppose I should really be running it under XP Professional ?
What's anybody else's thoughts, as I'm contemplating purchasing an upgrade to XP Professional - is it worth it ?
Chris Weaving
Chris Weaving
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (9.7K reputation)Forum Sage (9.7K reputation)Forum Sage (9.7K reputation)Forum Sage (9.7K reputation)Forum Sage (9.7K reputation)Forum Sage (9.7K reputation)Forum Sage (9.7K reputation)Forum Sage (9.7K reputation)Forum Sage (9.7K reputation)

Just read the post in the \"P-Squared Announcements\" forum from Peter Jarrett regarding XP Professional support from the 1st March this year - and yes, it looks like I should really be using XP Professional !
Chris Weaving
Chris Weaving
Forum Sage

Following on from the above, is there actually any problem running Myriad on XP Home (security or otherwise) ?
Like I've said, I've ran it for a while now on this OS with no real problems, and being located in a home studio, it's obviously not mission critical.
Peter Jarrett
Peter Jarrett
Forum Sage

We've heard of users running xp home having problems with using File Selector boxes (like when you import an audio file, or load/save a pad run) and quite a few problems with slow networking - which makes sense becuase that's not what xp home is designed for :-)

Overall though, if you aren't using it on-air (or at least don't mind the odd stutter) then you may be ok - I wouldn't like to give it an official seal of approval, but if it works for you then I shouldn't worry Smile

------------
Broadcast Radio Ltd.

Matt Wade
Matt Wade
Forum Sage
Forum Sage (96K reputation)Forum Sage (96K reputation)Forum Sage (96K reputation)Forum Sage (96K reputation)Forum Sage (96K reputation)Forum Sage (96K reputation)Forum Sage (96K reputation)Forum Sage (96K reputation)Forum Sage (96K reputation)

What should be done with Myriad Audio Servers?

We have a server running Windows 2000 pro and we are now in the process of upgrading our PC's to XP Pro. What is the suggested OS for the server. What is supported by psquared?

Matt
HR Chelmsford

Matt Wade
Need Training or Consultancy for Broadcast Radio Software Products?
Get in touch
w: https://mattwadeonline.co.uk
e: training@mattwadeonline.co.uk
Richard Payne
Richard Payne
Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd.
Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)Ex-Product Development Engineer of P Squared Ltd. (34K reputation)

You can find our support policy here: http://support.psquared.net/softsupport.htm

Although it doesn't explicitly mention any of the server OSes it does give a general rule of MS end of support + 6 months. Since MS stopped support for Windows 2000 server and the end of June last year we do not support it any more.

Of course, since you don't generally run our software on the file server the question is really a case of are you comfortable maintaining the OS side of things on your own?
GO

Reading This Topic

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Broadcast Radio Forums

Search